reuse axles or wheels?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
stay at home dad 13
Apprentice
Apprentice

reuse axles or wheels?

Post by stay at home dad 13 »

My son just had his race, took 4th. Right before he races he drops his car on the ground, I almost screamed. Anyways, his car ran pretty good compared to others. After the races I looked at his car because I didn't understand why it wasn't faster. Sure enough, right rear tire was rubbing against the body, go figure. I glued the axles in place by drilling a hole in the body deep enough that I could see the axe when I put it in and glued with wood glue. But after all this I was able to pull the wheel and axle out without any tools. So the drop/ movable axle and wheel seemed to be the problem.
Anyways, Do any of you reuse wheels or axles?
This year I was short on time so I bought polished rail rider axles and speed wheels from max. velocity. Weighed in at exactly 5 oz
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: reuse axles or wheels?

Post by Stan Pope »

Most rules specify "all new construction" which most would interpret as "if it raced last year, it doesn't race this year." I would include all parts as well. The problem is that the rule is unenforceable. So it is like golf ... self-policed honor system.

Sad he dropped his car. :( But, I bet he learned something from that experience. At that point, all bets on construction are off, including glued-in axles!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Would "all new construction" rule out re-using tungsten, too?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Nope, I never reuse anything because the car and all its parts at no point belongs to me. I might supply certain parts but that's my choice. We have been so fortunate, and again this year, and because of Derbytalk, that we always have finished in the top 3. When my special scout races for the last time, pictures are taken, and he and his parents walk away, I'm not about to tear his car apart. It's hard enough to say "Goodbye".
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gtdhw »

Our cars stay 100% complete and get displayed. No reason really, but race ready at any time.
I wish I was the man that my dog thinks I am.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

We pulled axles and wheels and reuse. Retire cars with stock parts.
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite