How to precisely verify alignment

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Folks,

I posted another video describing an extremely precise way to verify your alignment. This video is targeted more towards the pro-style build, but since many here use some of those same techniques in scout builds, I thought I'd let people here know about it.

https://youtu.be/
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How to precisely verify alignment

Post by Stan Pope »

Good vid! Thanks for sharing!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thank's for the cool video LightninBoy!

I wish in the video you would of verified the squareness of the combination, try, & machinist squares.

Sometimes a square is just not square! .. And it is often overlooked to be square when it's not.
& that can throw things out of alignment as well.

Whoda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Some time ago, I had a cheap 4" machinist square that I used a lot for various things. I trusted it because it was a "machinist" square, it had to be good. Right? Sometimes, though, I used it just to draw a perpendicular line across the block. And I'd look at the line and think "does that seem a little off? Nahh, can't be". When I bought my first set of 1-2-3 blocks, I used them to check all my square tools. And wouldn't you know it, that SOB was off. At first, I wasn't 100% sure which one to trust, so I invested in a couple of high quality machinist squares and combo squares and they confirmed that 4" machinist square was off.

So now I verify every tool and for checks that require precision I only use the tools that are in my "circle of trust". ;)
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

You don't need expensive gages to test a square; just a straight edge. Just draw two lines with the square from the same edge point ... once with the heel on one side of the line and once with it on the other side. If the square is "true," then the two lines will "line up."
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"