4-wheel Canted

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
mehiggins101
Journeyman
Journeyman

4-wheel Canted

Post by mehiggins101 »

Can a 4-wheels canted car be a fast setup? Thought was to use the Silver Bullet Pro tool for 3 degrees on all four wheels.

Optional Backstory:
My son's pack uses the four wheels must touch rule (nothing about canting). I've read descriptions about tuning a 4-wheel touch RR, but that's not for us. He plays a big part in his build and I think doing that process would take him out of it. His cars aren't straight runners (not really possible on with the kit parts), but they all have some drift.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 4-wheel Canted

Post by Speedster »

I'm assuming you mean a Negative cant on all 4 wheels. I think that would not be advisable. The least I would do is put a Negative Cant on the rear wheels and perhaps a very slight Positive Cant on the front wheels. I wouldn't want the top of the front wheels dragging along the top of the guide strip. To much chance for a front wheel to catch a mis-aligned section of track. I'm sure others will have good suggestions and still try to keep it simple for your scout.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 4-wheel Canted

Post by Stan Pope »

I concur with Speedster. In particular, the front wheels, if they touch the rail, need to touch very low on the rail to minimize the effects of friction. (If you want a more in-depth discussion of the physics, ask.)

It is really important that the rear wheels be kept off the rail for the entire run. This may mean that you apply some serious rear axle alignment as well as slight narrowing of the front wheel separation.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"