Want to take it to the next level

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
BattleBorn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Want to take it to the next level

Post by BattleBorn »

Speedster wrote:Whoda, lately I've been removing the casting marks on the shaft with the Dremel and a very thin cutting disc. I take the marks down below the level of the shaft. After that I'm not concerned the position of the axle to the bore.

BB, I do not wet the shaft. Put Novus 2 on the shaft and also some in the bore. Stick the shaft out of the drill about 1" or you'll never get it started. Start from the inside hub and run the drill slowly to medium speed for 15 seconds. Wash out the bore with water and dry. I have a small magnifying glass I bought from Derby Evolution that works for me. Polish a second time the same way as the 1st and inspect again. The bore should shine and shine.
Speedster, what do you put on the bores when finished polishing? Pledge or some other wax or just graphite?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I give the bores 2 coats of Liquid Glass. I give the 1st coat a buffing after an hour, let it cure overnight, and then the second buffing in the morning. I apply the second coat, buff after an hour, let it cure overnight, and buff it again in the morning. We then lube with Hob-E-Lube graphite the Maximum Velocity way. Fill the bore with graphite, finger spin the wheel 10 times. Do this 3 times for each wheel. We do all 4 wheels even though we run on 3 wheels. In the event of an accident we have a prepped wheel , plus 2 more in the tool box.
BattleBorn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BattleBorn »

Speedster wrote:I give the bores 2 coats of Liquid Glass. I give the 1st coat a buffing after an hour, let it cure overnight, and then the second buffing in the morning. I apply the second coat, buff after an hour, let it cure overnight, and buff it again in the morning. We then lube with Hob-E-Lube graphite the Maximum Velocity way. Fill the bore with graphite, finger spin the wheel 10 times. Do this 3 times for each wheel. We do all 4 wheels even though we run on 3 wheels. In the event of an accident we have a prepped wheel , plus 2 more in the tool box.
I actually have some liquid glass in the garage I forgot about :) So is there any reason you wouldn't use it on the axles as well vs. the Pledge? Also, when you "buff" them out are you using a pipe cleaner or the qtip again?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I've never heard of anybody having success using wax on the axles. If you try it, I am interested in hearing about it!

For buffing, definitely use the pipe cleaner.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Yep, I agree. Definitely use an extra Fluffy pipe cleaner. I've been tempted to put my wife's thick fingernail polish on the axles just to see what would happen. Maybe this summer.