2017 Wheels

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

2017 Wheels

Post by race#67 »

We received our kits for this season. I opened three kits and checked runout and all of the wheels seemed pretty good. Across 12 wheels with different mold numbers I am seeing an average of .002" runout. This is a huge improvement from the 40 wheels I checked last year.
Then I weighed them, and I was less happy. These wheels are averaging about 2.68 grams per wheel. Last years wheels averaged 2.58.
We run bone stock wheels rules, so light true wheels are important. Anyone else noticing heavier wheels this year? I wonder if the changed the plastic formula to a slighter denser more stable mix. I am sure that that extra .4 gram (well, .3 for a 3 wheels touching) will have a noticeable effect on times.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 2017 Wheels

Post by Vitamin K »

Oh wow, that's...very interesting.

I just weighed some wheels from some tubes I grabbed late last year. Getting readings between 2.63 and 2.68 grams apiece. Have yet to check the runout on them.

Is there gonna be an arms race on older new-style wheels, now?