Found my 1st ever post

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Found my 1st ever post

Post by davet »

Hey guys,
My boy and I are done racing but still involved with the old Pack with giving classes on building. I look back here now and then to see what everyone is up to and tried something.

I did a search of my posts and found my first thread. While reading it I felt like it read as if I was wanting everyone to give me the answers without being willing to do the work. That certainly wasn't what I was trying to do but it has that feel about it. The info on here is overwhelming for a new builder.

A good reminder not to get the wrong idea when reading someone's posts and to be patient. Experienced builders have so much knowledge and can forget that even "simple" or common concepts need explanation for most new builders.

Good luck to everyone this season!!
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Found my 1st ever post

Post by LightninBoy »

Well I never got that impression (that you were unwilling to do the work). In fact, I think I tried hard to convince you to do less work! ;-)

One thing I try to remember, when helping others, is that we learned a lot by incrementally adopting new speed tips year after year. Had we jumped in year one employing all the best techniques, I don't think we would've had as good of understanding as to "why" we were doing certain things.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Found my 1st ever post

Post by davet »

LightninBoy wrote:Well I never got that impression (that you were unwilling to do the work). In fact, I think I tried hard to convince you to do less work! ;-)

One thing I try to remember, when helping others, is that we learned a lot by incrementally adopting new speed tips year after year. Had we jumped in year one employing all the best techniques, I don't think we would've had as good of understanding as to "why" we were doing certain things.
Trust me, LB; if I had been smart enough to understand the concepts quicker I would've certainly been willing to go the "less work" route. The scout racers, like my son and I, only build one car per year and if a dad is lucky he'll help build 5 cars in his son's racing career. I tried to pack as much info as I could, as quickly as I could, into the one car each season. We didn't know how the car would react to certain concepts and didn't even know if we were applying them correctly. So this can be the reason for a sense of urgency in the posts by scout dads. This also explains the full sheet of paper we have with all of the weighting specs (front to rear and side to side), drift, COM, and times each year on the tracks we regularly ran so we could keep record of what we were doing.
Many times, guys here answered late night questions for me and they're part of our team, too, in a sense.

LB, I consider you one of our crew chiefs. :bigups: