Proof of good bore/axle prep

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Proof of good bore/axle prep

Post by davet »

My boy was invited to run his car from last year at his old Pack's derby race yesterday. It's been collecting dust on his shelf since June last year. He layed down a 2.918 on a 42' track on his first of 2 runs. No reprep other than a new battery for his lights. Best time on a 42' Besttrack was 2.90XX last year at Districts.

He got beat yesterday by about a 1/2 inch (no timer used this run) by an Outlaw car weighing 13 oz's. Awesome brushless fan car run in this race too. Couldn't see it it was so fast.

There was a guy getting close to our Pack track record from last year but he wasn't running all stock parts like we did at Pack and Districts. Our Pack record will probably fall next year with aftermarket parts.

Possibly may dabble in an adult car for Council. Not sure if my wife would go for that.

Good luck everyone this year!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Proof of good bore/axle prep

Post by Vitamin K »

Very nice! Here's to hoping the PWD world draws you back in somehow or another... ;)
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

It did give me the itch again. Especially when I was seeing 2.94XX and 2.95XX times. I know we ran pretty conservative cars at the Pack and could really dial it up if we wanted to. Unless my wife changes her ways and decides she'd like to spend more time with me...I'm all out of sons for scout racing.

I did spend about 3 hrs over at my wife's friend's house the other day going over build tips with her husband. He's got the itch and the kids asked really good questions and were very interested.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

davet wrote:It did give me the itch again. Especially when I was seeing 2.94XX and 2.95XX times. I know we ran pretty conservative cars at the Pack and could really dial it up if we wanted to. Unless my wife changes her ways and decides she'd like to spend more time with me...I'm all out of sons for scout racing.
Best of luck there, bud. ;)

davet wrote:I did spend about 3 hrs over at my wife's friend's house the other day going over build tips with her husband. He's got the itch and the kids asked really good questions and were very interested.
Ah, yes, that's a good feeling, isn't it? Finding somebody of similar mind and coaxing that spark into a flame. Dragging some new team down the path of obsession... :eager:
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Vitamin K wrote: Ah, yes, that's a good feeling, isn't it? Finding somebody of similar mind and coaxing that spark into a flame. Dragging some new team down the path of obsession... :eager:
No doubt. I truly felt bad for his wife. He has 4 or 5 little ones pretty close in age. It got to be 9:00pm and the little guys were still at the table with us and very interested. I guess she'll be replacing lightbulbs and taking out the trash for a few months every year for the next 8 yrs or so.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

davet wrote:
Vitamin K wrote: Ah, yes, that's a good feeling, isn't it? Finding somebody of similar mind and coaxing that spark into a flame. Dragging some new team down the path of obsession... :eager:
No doubt. I truly felt bad for his wife. He has 4 or 5 little ones pretty close in age. It got to be 9:00pm and the little guys were still at the table with us and very interested. I guess she'll be replacing lightbulbs and taking out the trash for a few months every year for the next 8 yrs or so.
Yeah, my wife's gonna need some divine patience as well. Got a four year old who'll be ready for Lions next year, and we just had another boy this past December.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Congatulations!! I wonder how many yrs these derby car builds take off our life. Gray hair, upset wives, race day anticipation, last minute repairs, etc. This was a pretty low-key winter for us this year but the itch keeps me coming back to this darn forum.