wheel source

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

wheel source

Post by davet »

Anybody know a good source for wheels?
7.5 mm wide, double step removed and 1.165 or so diameter.
Thanks.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: wheel source

Post by Vitamin K »

davet wrote:Anybody know a good source for wheels?
7.5 mm wide, double step removed and 1.165 or so diameter.
Thanks.
Normally would have pointed you in the direction of Derby Evolution's R160s but it seems like they're closing up shop. Not sure if they're taking new orders.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

I've used his wheels before and liked them but saw, I think it was your post, where your shipment was taking a while and someone replied he was having some trouble. I also liked being able to get colored wheels from him. He was also willing to custom machine them down to 1.163-1.165 just in case his calipers didn't match the calipers at tech. Same with width.
derbypain
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by derbypain »

Unfortunately I had an order I had to cancel with him... He was having some personal issues and it did not sound like it would ever get fulfilled.

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

I hate to try something new but looks like I'll have to. Having a choice of colored wheels limits us somewhat. I've called a couple places and checked a few websites but not sure yet what we'll do. I don't have any bias towards any supplier, just looking for trued wheels that are at least better than good stock wheels.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Since you are able to modify the wheels as you suggested, I would go through Maximum Velocity and get the wheels you want. They come from Derby worx and I have a set of his wheels that are perfect. They were sent to me from the Mid America race I participated in a few years ago. They are illegal for our scout races but I have kept them to remind me how perfect a wheel can be made. Who ever the person that is making them, that guy/gal is good.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Thanks guys. It's good to have advice from people using the stuff. DE has some blacks he can ship right away. I was looking for colored though.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Give Jewkes a try too. Jewkes and DE both make a great NSC wheel.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

What does NSC stand for?
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

NorthernStar Council
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank you.
Do you have the rules available for what the NSC allows on wheels? It would seem they are perhaps very generous.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Speedster wrote:Thank you.
Do you have the rules available for what the NSC allows on wheels? It would seem they are perhaps very generous.
NSC rules are here.

Best Scout PWD rules in the country, IMO. I cribbed heavily from them when I revised our District's rules.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

WOW !!!!! I wish our rules read like that. Such detail. I will be on our rules committee next year and will try my best to get as many of their rules allowed. Not because they are very generous but because some of our racers are doing it anyways and we are going beyond that. There's no question in my mind that some of the cars that reach our District race have lightened wheels. They most certainly have canted wheels when our rules state wheels must be straight up and down. Yes, that is the fault of the inspector. The inspector last year was the most kind, caring, wonderful gentleman you would every want to meet. I've known him for years. He has been active in the Boy Scouts for over 20 years. Does he know anything about the Pinewood Derby. NO...
If the car is no more than 7" long and weighs no more than 5 ounces it passes. I handle the Pit area at District and have for many years. I catch extended wheel base, painted wheels, and obvious things after they have gone through inspection. I never touch a car but I've been responsible for having cars being disqualified. No, I do not want to inspect cars. I have my entire display set up at the Pit area and I enjoy talking with all the folks. The racers enjoy seeing, and going through, Doc Jobe's big green book. Perhaps that motivates them to look deeper into "The Physics of the Pinewood Derby". I hope so.
Best
Speedster
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Another NSC convert!!
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

There are some things I'd change about the NSC rules. For one thing, we don't use BSA kits, so all the rules about BSA wheels would need to be updated. For another, our start gate works with pointed-nose cars (although we advise at least a half-inch flat part in the middle to trigger the finish gate quickly). And the race day logistics are different from what we do.

But overall, they're very good. And SO much better than the rules that require "four on the floor" or that restrict lubricants.