wheel source

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Ghettentail
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: wheel source

Post by Ghettentail »

I like Derbydadforhire wheels. They have been by far the best from all the ones I tried.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Ghettentail wrote:I like Derbydadforhire wheels. They have been by far the best from all the ones I tried.
I had a set a few yrs ago. All but 1 wheel were .001-.002 out of round. I have a set here from DE and they're perfect. Maybe just a bad set. I'd try them again if I hadn't found these DE wheels in the bottom of my box.
Ghettentail
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ghettentail »

davet wrote:
Ghettentail wrote:I like Derbydadforhire wheels. They have been by far the best from all the ones I tried.
I had a set a few yrs ago. All but 1 wheel were .001-.002 out of round. I have a set here from DE and they're perfect. Maybe just a bad set. I'd try them again if I hadn't found these DE wheels in the bottom of my box.
All of mine check out dead on. I was not a fan of the Evolution wheels. They measured out of round on the ones I had. All the pro guys I talked to pointed me to Derby Dad.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

DD was one of the Vendors wheels I checked when I tested wheels from 4 Vendors. Most of them were not round. Even though no names were mentioned except Derby Evolution's, I have kept these sets of 4 wheels just to remind me of what you may be buying. As I have mentioned before, Derby Worx sent me a set of wheels from the Mid America and they are perfect. The step has been removed which makes them illegal for our scout races but they are perfectly round so I know wheels can be made round. These wheels were all tested on Knothed's gauge.

Allow me to clarify something. The wheels I tested were all the basic wheel with nothing done to them other then make them round. My intent was not to bash anyone. The wheels were all within .001 or .002. on the gauge. All the wheels from any vendor were far better then most of the wheels that come out of the box. If anyone is satisfied with the wheels they receive from any vendor, by all means, stay with what works for you.

I will be participating in a workshop near the end of this year involving 100 Girl Scouts. We will be checking 400 BSA wheels on knotheds gauge. We'll keep track of the mold number and what they read. I'll start a different Topic when I get the results. It should be educational.