MaxV wheels and oil

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

MaxV wheels and oil

Post by davet »

I seem to remember asking this question in the past but can't find the answer. It may be that I'm old and was asking myself.
Can a guy run Ny-Oil II with MaxV Basic Kit wheels?
Also, where can I find the 2oz bottles of Ny-oil that used to be so easy to get?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: MaxV wheels and oil

Post by Vitamin K »

I thought Ny-Oil had fallen out of use, in favor of Krytox? Is there a particular reason you want some?

Assuming you find some, I imagine it would work fine with the Max-V wheels and axles.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

I'm putting together supplies for our first, church sponsored derby event. I'm using the Ny-Oil II because it's cheap in the 2 oz bottles compared to the common 5ml bottles or 1 dram bottles of other lubes. The church will be providing all the supplies and we've prohibited graphite just to keep things cleaner.
We're not building the fastest cars, just getting kids and adults together. We'll see if this event tanks with 6 kids or overwhelms us with interest.

Maybe you want to come on out and be a special guest speaker or special guest volunteer helper.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

davet wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:41 am I'm putting together supplies for our first, church sponsored derby event. I'm using the Ny-Oil II because it's cheap in the 2 oz bottles compared to the common 5ml bottles or 1 dram bottles of other lubes. The church will be providing all the supplies and we've prohibited graphite just to keep things cleaner.
We're not building the fastest cars, just getting kids and adults together. We'll see if this event tanks with 6 kids or overwhelms us with interest.

Maybe you want to come on out and be a special guest speaker or special guest volunteer helper.
Haha, if I lived close enough, I'd be happy to help! You should ask LightninBoy to come be your guest of honor.

The thing is, one fifteen dollar bottle of Krytox from Max-V (or whoever) could lubricate over a hundred cars. And the needle tip makes it hard to dispense too much too quickly.

That said, I really need to get rolling on my Cub Scout Oil Starter Kit kickstarter idea...
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

A bottle will go a long way with you or I applying it. I won't have total control over this as I'll have to have helpers working with the kids. We'll let kids put the oil on with the steel tipped Ny-Oil and I'm sure it will get over-applied in most cases.

I'm kind of planning this event like you would build a demolition derby car. It will be rough around the edges, built to withstand any impact and designed so that anyone can get in and drive it to a win.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

davet wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:09 am A bottle will go a long way with you or I applying it. I won't have total control over this as I'll have to have helpers working with the kids. We'll let kids put the oil on with the steel tipped Ny-Oil and I'm sure it will get over-applied in most cases.

I'm kind of planning this event like you would build a demolition derby car. It will be rough around the edges, built to withstand any impact and designed so that anyone can get in and drive it to a win.
Those Max-V bottles are pretty rigid. You've really gotta work to get more than a small drop to come out at a time.

That said, couldn't you have some volunteer run a "lubrication station" to assist folks in oiling their cars and to avoid "More's Law"?
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

You can use either Krytox 100 or NyOil with the MV Wheels/axles, but it is really easy to overdo it with NyOil. But in any case, make sure that oil is not running down the side of the wheels, or you will really foul up the track. Just one drop is all that is needed.