8oz outlaw weight placement?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
mountaindew
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mountaindew »

This year my sons pack is having a dads outlaw race. Same rules except for wheels and weights (8oz). I ordered outlaw wheels and axles, but was think about the weight placement. In a typical car,about 2 1/2 to 3 oz in rear. I can't see putting 5oz in the rear, would probably be slower in the bottom of the track.
My first thought was keeping the weight of the car itself around 4oz and add 4 towards the rear. and still a rail rider
Any suggestions, thoughts, or recommendations would be appreciated
Thanks
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 8oz outlaw weight placement?

Post by Speedster »

A lot depends on your rules. Can you use oil, wafer wheels, bearing axles, extended wheelbase? If you must use BSA wheels with all the lettering then I would use 1 gram wheels and .092 stainless axles. Hershey bar car. Railriding set up accurately will definitely help. I would keep the front light and around 6 ounces total weight with a 3/4" Center of Gravity. If you have a track and timer you can add weight until it works against you.
mountaindew
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mountaindew »

The rules don't have many restrictions except no oil. I already ordered outlaw wheels from maximum velocity.
So you are saying that I shouldn't go to 8oz, stay around 6?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Hi mountaindew, & welcome to DT!
There are a few topic's on derby talk.. that talk about how much weight is two much weight for outlaw cars.
like this topic: http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=6982 with a few more with in the topic.. that FS, & members point's out and link to as well.

To find more of these older topic's just use the search in the upper right.
There are some that say ( 9 to 10 oz) on standard BSA wheels & axles running on standard lube.. (no oil lubes) is pushing the max!
So I thank Speedster is headed in the right direction with his weight sugestion for a standard length car.

Hope all the links help out and good luck with your 8 oz outlaw car.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

If you are running 1 gram BSA wheels I think 8 oz is going to be too much for the wheels. You would probably need to run them backwards. I used 6 oz because I added an ounce to my Mid America car and it wins the OUTLAW race every year. I realize the competition plays a large part in this but that's been my experience. Without a track everything is a guess.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster, I'm with you on what you said about the competition!
Lets say the heavy 8 oz outlaw car only had to run for a few heats .. would you then load the wheel bores up with graphite.
Now lets say .. you for see it has a lot of competition and a lot of heat races to run.. would you then drop weight on the car?

Good questions .. is how many heat races will it be running at best... it's a best guess and a game of chance!
Last edited by whodathunkit on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

mountaindew, please let us know the results of the race. Would you please send us pictures of all the OUTLAW cars? Thank you.
Last edited by Speedster on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I just received Maximum Velocity's Newsletter Volume 17, Issue 6, 12-13-2017. Lots of information on this Topic.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Hay hay good catch there Speedster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk