Axle strength

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
mountaindew
Apprentice
Apprentice

Axle strength

Post by mountaindew »

We just finished our derby our car ran workable. It was set as a 3wheel rail rider. I didn't understand why it ran so slow. After the races I looked at it and noticed that the axles where bent out of whack. Not exactly sure what happened from when I checked in to after the races but something happened. Track, placement on the track or something else. Don't know, my question is how is the axle strength and how much abuse or stress can they take. I used maximum velocity bsa speed axles with their ultra light wheels bent at about 3 degrees.
Any ideas or ways to strengthen them
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Axle strength

Post by gpraceman »

Could be due to rough handling or a poor stopping section on the track.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

If you're racing in the Cub Scouts you have very lenient rules. Did you drill holes to get a 3 degree angle and the axles should have remained straight?
Might we see a picture of the car?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:44 pm If you're racing in the Cub Scouts you have very lenient rules. Did you drill holes to get a 3 degree angle and the axles should have remained straight?
I'm with Speedster on this!

However if you bent the back axles to 3 degree and used the slots.. or straight drilled axle holes and bent axles at 3 degree's.
The alignment issue's could be as simple that the axles were not glued in place to hold your axle alignment as your car travels out of the slope and into the flat.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

gpraceman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:38 pm Could be due to rough handling or a poor stopping section on the track.
Randy, brings a very point about rough handling and poor stopping sections that some tracks could have as well.

Some older wooden tracks could have what I'd call stop boxes.. that are car alignment killers! (see pic below!)
Some could be filled with foam that are designed to pinch and catch the car as it drives the front end and wheels into it.. missing up the front wheel alignment.
For the larger front end designed cars sometimes the cars bounce off the foam pad the rear end of the car lifts and then slams back down..
reeking havoc on the rear alignment!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?