help with build 4 wheel railrider

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
slaka8
Apprentice
Apprentice

help with build 4 wheel railrider

Post by slaka8 »

Hey this is my first post. Looking for a little help. Rules say, No canting, all 4 wheels must touch. I am running long wheel base (already drilled straight axle holes) What is my best option? My plan is slight cant in rear, like 1 degree so wheels still sit flatish. 1 degree in my Right Front DFW to adjust toe in and a little positive camber. Slight toe out on NDFW left front. pull left about 3 1/4" in 4'... Does this sound reasonable or is there a better way?

Ray
Last edited by slaka8 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: help with build 4 wheel railrider

Post by Speedster »

Hi There, Ray. Welcome to Derbytalk.

That's the way you do it. Negative camber on the NDFW. I was able to do it successfully, once, but it took me a long time to accomplish it. If I'm ever involved with a "4 on the ground " rule again I will help them set the car up as a straight runner. I wish you the very best.
slaka8
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by slaka8 »

Thanks Speedster. So you think a straight runner will be the better way to go? Easier to accomplish and just as fast?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

slaka8 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:34 am Thanks Speedster. So you think a straight runner will be the better way to go? Easier to accomplish and just as fast?
Definitely easier to accomplish, but I suspect not as fast as a 4-wheel-touching RR if executed properly.

Sporty did a write-up on the subject. Definitely a lot of tuning involved, but RR is faster.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

My problem was getting it set up without having the appearance of the NDFW make the inspectors question everything. I would definitely set it up as a 3 wheel rail rider and then do what is necessary to make the NDFW roll. Let us know if you're successful and how you did it. I'd surely like to learn an easier way.