Can I have some help?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Stephen0602
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can I have some help?

Post by Stephen0602 »

Hi, my name is Stephen Lajuwomi and I have some questions. I would really appreciate it if you would help me out. :clap:

I have participated in Pinewood Derby Races for about two or three different competitions. My dad wasn't of the greatest help to me or my siblings because he grew up in Nigeria and has never heard of Pinewood racing and doesn't really care about it. :sigh: So we have been on our own. :cry:

This year I want to build a Lightning McQueen styled race car, and I have no idea how to go about it. :? I would also like to try and have a decently fast car with it as well, but from previous years I have had no success with speed. :oops:

I hope you guys can help me, I would really appreciate the help! :mrgreen:

Thanks! :D
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Can I have some help?

Post by whodathunkit »

Hi Stephen0602 and :welcome:
So I take it Lightning McQueen is one of your favorite race cars?

There is not very many car pattern templates on the web for making a Lightning McQueen pinewood derby car.
However there are a few link's I'll share to help with this car:
http://www.takefiveaday.com/2010/05/09/ ... g-mcqueen/
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F7M ... W1mk8/edit
http://www.pinewoodpro.com/p/070179.html

Then there is a topic by Andy & Noah, A8htk .
That shows some photos.
https://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php ... cqueen+car.

From there read your rules very close to find out what you can or cannot do to improve the speed of your car .
Thing's like a longer wheel base .. or do you have to use the slots in the kit block or can you drill axle holes!
Or can you use light weight wheels and bent axles to set the car up to rail ride.

( If your unsure about your race rules ask your race chairman before you try any of these speed tip's in your design.)

Here's a video explaining the science of making a fast car.
https://boyslife.org/hobbies-projects/p ... derby-car/

From there you can use the search bar in the up-er right of the screen to find all kinds of topics that talk all about it!
And I'm sure more will chime in to help you out as well..

Best of luck Stephen.
Whoda.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Can I have some help?

Post by Speedster »

Hi Stephen, Welcome to Derbytalk.
I would suggest you buy the book by Troy Thorne, Build a Winning Pinewood Derby Car. There's lots of pictures and it gives good advice. You will learn the basics of how to build a car for speed following science.
Are you racing in Cub Scouts? It would be nice if we knew your rules.
Stephen0602
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Stephen0602 »

Thanks for your answers! I really appreciate it!

I am racing in the Awana Grand Prix. I believe you can still new axle holes, but there was nothing about rail riding and bent axles. I will ask them about what you said.

I saw Andy and Noah's design. I was confused on how they made the wheels look realistic. I thought maybe the built the body of Lighting and put it on the block to make it look realistic. But I'm not sure.

Thanks again!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Stephen0602 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:12 am Thanks for your answers! I really appreciate it!

I am racing in the Awana Grand Prix. I believe you can still new axle holes, but there was nothing about rail riding and bent axles. I will ask them about what you said.
If the rules don't say you can't, then you can. Usually. :)
Stephen0602 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:12 am I saw Andy and Noah's design. I was confused on how they made the wheels look realistic. I thought maybe the built the body of Lighting and put it on the block to make it look realistic. But I'm not sure.
You can do wheel painting with a paint marker and some careful masking. Just be sure not to get any paint in or around the bore where the axle head will ride!
kcarchitect
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by kcarchitect »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwWejEdiyYk&t=121s

I've got a video series on YouTube that will walk you through some of the wheel and axle prep with links to everything you could possibly need. It will get you started in the right direction.
Stephen0602
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Stephen0602 »

How do I make it look as if the wheels are under Lightning's body?

Like a normal car

Thanks! I really appreciate your help!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Stephen0602 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:20 am How do I make it look as if the wheels are under Lightning's body?

Like a normal car

For that you need to cut fenders out of some additional wood and glue them to the sides. For a car like McQueen, these would likely be decorative fenders, as opposed to fenders designed to give you better aerodynamics. That said, the lighter you can make your fenders, the better you'll be able to optimize your weight placement for more speed.

Here's a video showing a car with pine fenders:

https://youtu.be/XJexhBLfsf4
Stephen0602
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Stephen0602 »

Vitamin K wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:55 am
Stephen0602 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:20 am How do I make it look as if the wheels are under Lightning's body?

Like a normal car

For that you need to cut fenders out of some additional wood and glue them to the sides. For a car like McQueen, these would likely be decorative fenders, as opposed to fenders designed to give you better aerodynamics. That said, the lighter you can make your fenders, the better you'll be able to optimize your weight placement for more speed.

Here's a video showing a car with pine fenders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJexhBLfsf4

Thanks!
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

If you are looking to build a full rendered car, here is an article I wrote a few years back.

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewoo ... imes-v9i9/
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

ah8tk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:15 pm If you are looking to build a full rendered car, here is an article I wrote a few years back.

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewoo ... imes-v9i9/
Andy,

Wow, that's an incredible write-up! Very detailed! I wish I had a small fraction of your woodworking ability.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Wow! Stephen I told you there would be more chime in to help you out!
I'm glad for it.. were all for helping you out with your Lightning McQueen car from speed to design.

Stephen , after reading your post needing help last night .
I felt very compelled to share with you in photos how you can make this car design just by using a photo of it .

Here is a design I found on my I phone that I'll be using to draw out the car design on paper using the kit block to do so.

Before I start I'm going to show you two kit block types and where the axle notches locations could play a role in your chosen design.
The top block is from the kit type you said you'll be racing.. the next below is a BSA kit block see where the axles notches are between the kit types?

Using your kit block and a sheet of paper trace around the block and be sure to mark out the axle slots as well.
It should look like this when your done tracing the block.
Next take your wheels and place them on your pattern looking threw the wheel bores where the axles go in.
Line them up on your marked out notches on the pattern and trace your wheels all the way around them.

I'm going to share more pic's with you in several posting instead of one long one!
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Okay here is where your free to do shapes on your pattern I'll start with the tail end. (note i switched ends on the pattern!)
Next draw a line above the wheels about 1" up from the bottom of the block.. this will be the area for your fender height.
Next move on to drawing out your front end hood and fender shape.
Then the cab shape.
Next move on to the fender shapes and wheel wells shapes.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Okay Stephen, are you ready for this?
Now that you have your pattern all drawn out.. The next steps are simple!
Cut out the top half of your pattern.. then fold the lower half of the pattern down.. on the axle notch side of the block.
Make sure your axle notches on the pattern line up with the notches on the kit block.. then trace the out lines on the block.
(note how I missed cutting out the tail end shape on my pattern? make sure to cut this shape out and trace it on the kit block as well!)
This is your car block shape.
Next cut out the fender shape of your pattern.
Here is where you are free to use light weight woods like balsa or bass wood to make your fenders.
You'll need two pieces of wood... size to be 7 1/2'' long by 2" tall and 3/8" thick.( note how in my pattern how there lower in the center of the car?)
You don't have to do this if you choose to keep it flush with the bottom of the car!
( If you do like how they hang down lower.. you'll want to make sure they don't rub on the track rails!) so a little more work is needed to bevel them back on the bottom.

Here is where clear tape is very handy.. it helps to hold the two pieces for your fenders together while cutting out there shape.
wrap the tape around them good from two different directions making sure the wood stays flush to one another.
You can trace your fender pattern out on one before taping .. or just tape it down as well like what is seen in the photo.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Okay Stephen!
After your done cutting out all the shapes in your block and fenders you should have sometime like this to work with.
Ready to see what it looks like with a fender placed on the kit block?
You'll want to trace around your fenders marking out where to glue them at.
Here is what it looks like if the fenders were glued on.. and where your free to do your sanding and shaping the rest of car design.

Well Stephen, I hope this helps you out and best luck with your car design!

And sorry for the long drawn out posting guy's!
Whoda.