Can I have some help?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Can I have some help?

Post by Speedster »

Stephen, allow me to assume some things. Your car is all finished and has been painted and you are using the original slots that have not been spread. What I would do is take an electric drill and a 3/32" drill bit and drill out the slots. You should be able to easily insert a BSA axle (.087) into the slots simply by pushing them. I don't know the diameter of Awana axles. Glue the axles in the slots. If you don't have a drill or drill bits you can buy them at Harbor Freight, $20.00 for a cord type 3/8" variable speed drill and I'm sure some inexpensive drill bits that include a 3/32" size. You don't want to take a chance on damaging the car after all that work. I would not be overly concerned with perfect alignment at this point.
Best Wishes
Speedster
Last edited by Speedster on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen0602
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Stephen0602 »

Thanks!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Awana axles are a tad larger in diameter than BSA axles.

If using the slots and you don't have a drill press or drilling jig, you can use a pin vise to drill for the axles. Like this or this.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Can I have some help?

Post by whodathunkit »

Awana axle shaft diameter is 0.0920 for a good tight fit use a #43 drill bit .089
For a little loser fit use a # 42 Drill bit at .0935
3/32 drill bit is = to .09375

The axle slots are cut deeper in the Awana kits then that to the BSA kits.
It is to my understanding that the derby worx axle guide will only set the wheel gaps. and will not assist you in the axle installation.
As seen here: http://www.maximum-velocity.com/specialtytoolapp.htm

So Stephen if you have a flat razor blade, and some small screws, and a piece of wood.
Maybe you can make something like this for your own axle guide tool for axle installation.
( Note how the razor blade has a crimp line and that it lines up to the wood block.. and that the wood is taller then the blade is so you wont cut your self!)
Next Photo is not the best:
Maybe you can see the depth of the razor blade in the slot.. and the gap from the blade to the top of the slot for setting the axle to the top of the slot.
if the axle is pushed into the slot.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I realize it's a simple typo but a 3/32" drill bit is = to .09375. I drilled several holes into a BSA block and even a BSA nail Made in USA does not fall into the hole. That might be due to the diameter of the nail at the opposite end of the point due to manufacturing. Take a piece of 3/8" wood dowel, drill a dimple in the end, it should be easy to push the nail into the slot. I have forgotten if the Awana axle has a blunt end. If that presents a problem, and if the rules allow, file a point on the nails.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Can I have some help?

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks speedster your right it was a typo on the 3/32" drill bit size.

The idea of using a dowel rod to push the axle in is a good one!

And the Awana axles are blunt on the tip as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?