Amount of drift vs. dfw weight.

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
AaronS
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by AaronS »

:thinking: Hi. I'm new to Derby Talk. My daughter's car is set up for 3 wheel rail riding with a total weight of 143.1 grams or 5.046 oz. There is 2.5 deg cant in the rear wheels with no toe in or out and a weight of 128.8grams. The dfw has a 1.5 deg cant with no toe in or out and a weight of 14.3grams. Inner wheel edge and hub are both burnished with Hob-E-Lube. The drift is set for 4.5in within 4ft. Is that a correct drift for how light the front is?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Amount of drift vs. dfw weight.

Post by whodathunkit »

Hi AaronS and :welcome:
AaronS wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:35 pm with a total weight of 143.1 grams or 5.046 oz.
Is that right? 143.1 grams at 5.046 ( I could be wrong..) to me it seems like that number should be around 5.04770395) however 5.046 is close.

Do you know the track type the car will be raced on .. how long of track or if it's wood or aluminum ?
That will help member's here on Derby Talk .. Your drift angle sounds good to me.. as some say 3 to 3/12 in 4' ..The some will say 5" in 8' as well.

Hold tight as more will chime in with drift angles to help you out.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
AaronS
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by AaronS »

Yes, your 5.0477 is more accurate. The track is a Best Aluminum track. There were a few seems visibly offset but not bad. Her time was a 3.03ish on what may have been 42' track. I have made a few corrections like alignment correction in rear and no toe in for rear wheel behind dfw. Also moved 2.3g of weight to rear minus materials in front of car.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Howdy, Fellow Buckeye. Welcome to Derbytalk.
We are required to use slots, stock wheelbase, stock wheels with light sanding. We run a 3 wheel rail rider with 3 wheels set with 1 1/2 degrees cant, Negative on the back and Positive on the dfw. We start by setting the drift to 2" in 4' on the tuning board. We then run down a 35' Best track for the fastest time. The tuning board then shows the car travels 2" in 3'. That's what works for us.
I have to assume you raced this car in competition recently. Would you tell me what date you raced and where the race was held? Thank you.
AaronS
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by AaronS »

Hi Speedster. I have read a number of your posts and other guys too and have learned a lot. We are in Swan Creek District in NW Ohio. The race was small and local held toward end of Jan at St Petrie church. My daughter and I used everything out of the box and put lots of time into the car to make it as efficient as possible while following all the rules. Axle slots were used along with stock wheel base, stock wheels and axles. I had my daughter work on as much of the car as she was capable...That was a lot of fun!! She actually used a foredom flexshaft and burs to hollow out the body! Of course with leather glove and safety glasses. We had fun working on the car together! We are still waiting to hear about a date for our district race.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Okay
If we take the drift numbers speedster said 2'' in 3'
And now we move to 4 ' length of travel you should have around 3 1/2" to 3 5/8" of drift.
If you stay on those numbers in 8 foot of travel you should be at 5" of drift .

Best of luck to you and your daughter .. Sounds like she is quite the woodworker and having fun together is what is all about!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

AaronS, I'm very familiar with the Swan Creek District. I knew Ray Foley well before he retired. Great Guy. You and I live very close to each other. I'll be emailing you. You and your daughter might be interested in tuning cars on my track.
Cheers,
Bill
AaronS
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by AaronS »

Thank you Bill ( Speedster). That is very kind and thoughtful to offer your track for tuning. I have a test board I made but that's it. I didn't use bent axles just canted the axles in the slots. A bit tricky since the slots were off but I was able to get them 90deg left and right with a degrees of pitch for the cant. I'm thinking you have been at this a long time. Can I ask what are the determining factors for how much drift to put into the car since each car is physically different. My daughter's car is almost shaped like an Anhk., But hollowed out. Car body weighed about 12.8 grams. The lead disk I made weighed roughly 122 grams and sits approx 30% over the rear axle. The front end is so light touching the track that I wasn't sure about the drift pressure into the rail.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I cannot find a definition for Anhk. Might we see a picture of the car?

Offering my track for tuning is because I'm very selfish. Once you tune your car I automatically become part of your team. Thank You.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

An Anhk is a cross but with a looped top.
an Ankha is a cartoon looking cat.

I'm with Speedster on the pic's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AaronS
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by AaronS »

Ok guys, sorry for the vague description. I will attempt to post a pic of the car so you can get a good visual. Are the pics for your eyes only or for any one?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

AaronS,

Once you post your photos there open for viewing on your topic.. and they can also be viewed on the web as well.
I can blame you for asking the question however!

It's you'r daughter's work and if she want's to keep her work from being view on the topic or on the web then that's up to her!
But do tell her were all cheering for her and would love to see the hard work she put into making her car.
And that all of us on Derby Talk.. would enjoy seeing car's made by girls as well.. because pinewood derby is not just for boy's.

But the photo's are up to her.
AaronS
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by AaronS »

I wanted to let whodathunkit know I will send U a couple pics of my daughter's car via your email. Let me know what that is and I'll send them to you. She would be fine with knowing you guys have done this for a long time and are very friendly and willing to help us with good advice! Thank U!☺️