One half inch Center of Gravity

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

One half inch Center of Gravity

Post by Speedster »

Our District race was yesterday and everything went very smoothly. Our Pack leader's son, 5th Grade, turned the fastest time of the day, 2.55X on a 35' Best track, Champ timer, and a 3.12X on the 40' Freedom track, Micro Wizard timer. That is just a little history of the time of regulation racing of the day.

I had access to the Best track after regulation racing and raced a fellow Buckeye who has recently joined Derbytalk. Our cars were both Commodore Perry District legal, 3 wheel rail riders, stock wheelbase, slots only and graphite only. Our times on 1st run - me 2.538 with 3/4" CG. Him 2.533 with 1/2" CG. Switch lanes for 2nd run. Me 2.532. Him A Miraculous 2.116.
Yep, He's FAST. His car ran very smoothly down the Best track. I never knew going this aggressive with a CG was safe but it seemed to work out. Is this a common CG used by racers on Derby talk?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: One half inch Center of Gravity

Post by Vitamin K »

On a smooth track with a good rail-riding alignment, 1/2" CoG is pretty standard these days, I'd say.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Something tells me If you've have a good smooth track.
With some true round wheels & excellent axle alignment that you could get away with a more aggressive weighting.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Live and learn. I never would have tried that on my own. Thank you, Gentlemen.
I will get a speed on my car on my track and then set it up with a 1/2" CG. Results to follow.