Degree of Wheel Cant

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
AaronS
Journeyman
Journeyman

Degree of Wheel Cant

Post by AaronS »

:scratching: When choosing the degree of wheel can't such as 2.5deg for the rear wheels, is it more advantageous to lessen the degree of can't so there is less binding and friction inside the wheel bore? Is there a middle ground of let's say 1.5 deg making it efficient for both the wheel bore and wheel migration to axle head while still riding on the inner edge surface?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Degree of Wheel Cant

Post by Speedster »

If rules allow the 2.5 degree cant on the rear wheels is probably the best. I suspect at 2.5 degrees the angle keeps the wheel on the nail head. Our Cub Scout rules will not allow us to do that so I'm forced to bring the cant back to 1.5 degrees where the wheel appears to be sitting closer to straight up and down. Since your daughter will be racing in May under "The Toledo Regional Powder Puff Derby Construction Rules" you probably could legally do it. It is an excellent question and something to play with this summer. However, since you're probably going to win the May race I hope you aren't changing anything on that little rocket. See you and the rest of the Team May 12th.
AaronS
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by AaronS »

Ok, thank U Bill.
AaronS
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by AaronS »

Hey Bill. Just wanted to let you know that I think you have a good blend of wheel can't and friction going on for your rear wheel set up. I think K you have minimized friction in the bore and maximized the cant with least rolling resistance.!