Tungsten and Duct tape

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Tungsten and Duct tape

Post by Speedster »

Each year I always have the Good Fortune of finding 1 scout, Cub Scout or Girl Scout, that is obsessed with speed. Yes, Tungsten is expensive.

I'd like to share with you how we build the car. The car is always 1/4" thick. The pockets are cut all the way through and the bottom openings plated with a very thin piece of wood glued to the bottom with Elmers glue. The stock wheelbase (4 3/8") must be used as well as slots. A 2 ounce tungsten block from a particular vendor is used because of its size. It is mounted behind the rear axle slot with double face tape. Tungsten 1/4" cubes are used in front of the rear axle slot also with double face tape. Our COM will be 3/4" in front of the rear axle slot. The car will rail ride. We always use Preferred wheel numbers. Because of their enthusiasm they do not pay for anything.

The sides of the car and over the top about 1/8" are colored with a Black Sharpie. (Color used is scout choice) The top is covered with Duct tape, again, scout choice of color. The drift is set and the car, and scout, goes to the track for tuning. The color goes over the top a bit and the duct tape cut so a black line will appear on the top. Striping tape is cut and used to make everything look nice.
Here's the scouts benefit other then having a fast car. The duct tape can be pulled back and the tungsten removed for next years car. The tape is put back in place and no damage has been done to his car. When building a car like this there is almost no sanding necessary. Other then cutting the block, the scout can do everything. The scout might take 4 or 5 times to get the duct tape straight on the top of the car but there's a lot of tape on a roll. It also teaches patience. If he's a Lion he can use the tungsten for a lot of years.

I have yet to figure out who has more Fun, the scout or me.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Tungsten and Duct tape

Post by Vitamin K »

Very nice, Speedster!

I do something similar, but with the shiny foil tape as opposed to duct tape.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Tungsten and Duct tape

Post by whodathunkit »

Wait a minute VK isn’t the shiny foil tape also considered a duct tape for air conditioner ducts?

So it isn’t considered as a duct tape as well!

Although I know what your saying about the foil tape
As it has the higher adhesion and sticks to most everything.

I just had to toss this thought in about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Whoda, my team cannot build a car as fast as VK builds cars so we don't need the extra adhesion. We've not had colored duct tape blow off yet and the scouts always have a favorite color.
I agree, that silver stuff really sticks.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

whodathunkit wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:53 pm Wait a minute VK isn’t the shiny foil tape also considered a duct tape for air conditioner ducts?

So it isn’t considered as a duct tape as well!

Although I know what your saying about the foil tape
As it has the higher adhesion and sticks to most everything.

I just had to toss this thought in about it.
Indeed, you could argue that the foil tape is actually a better tape for ducts. :)

Using "regular" duct tape with the kids makes perfect sense, though.

It really does soften the blow of investing in tungsten if you explain that it's something that can be used for the length of the kid's scout career.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Tungsten and Duct tape

Post by whodathunkit »

What I like about the foil tape ..
Is that if a little bit more weight is needed on the car .
It takes less of the foil tape for weight then it does of the reg duct tape.

But the way Speedster is building the car with a thin plate under the car to hold the weights.
And a duct tape cover is a real paint saver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?