Hello brand new here.

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Hello brand new here.

Post by Speedster »

BREAKING NEWS !!!!!
Do NOT EVER, EVER, underestimate a 5 year old Girl Scout. Our Pack supplies the track, timer, Grand Prix Race Manager software and an experienced operator to Host multiple Girl Scout races. It may be true you need to beat only one car and that's the car that takes 2nd place, but that 2nd place car is going to be FAST ! We're talking about .001 of a second.

As for buying a lot of things and spending a lot of time. If a person knows all The Physics of the Pinewood Derby, and then does them on every operation better then anyone else, they are going to win. Please let me say one more thing. The Folks on Derbytalk could probably build a car in an hour with very few tools and still win (paint optional). Everyone has heard the saying, "Knowledge is Power". The same is true about making a block of wood go down a hill fast.

Be careful of those Sweet Young Ladies they call Girl Scouts. They build FAST cars and they know what it takes to make them go FAST.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Sleestak wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:15 amWe just need to beat some 5 year okld girls and their dads who arw not putting the work or money in to it I am.
Why?

And have you considered what the conversations (between you and the other dads, between your daughter and her friends) are going to be like after you've won?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Speedster wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 amBe careful of those Sweet Young Ladies they call Girl Scouts. They build FAST cars and they know what it takes to make them go FAST.
And sometimes, kids just get lucky.

One year, one of the age-group winners in our derby spent about 30 minutes total working on his car. And most of that time was using a bench sander to round off the ends in an irregular "a kid obviously did it" kind of way. An adult added weight, the kid painted it with white primer, and then he left it at church to dry. The next time I saw him was a few minutes before registration closed on derby day. I showed him how to apply graphite and install his wheels, and then he checked in the car. It was a little light, so they taped pennies to the bottom and checked in his car. And it beat every car in his age group, including some that had clearly taken a lot of time to build.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

"They" installed some pennies. Are "They" the same ones who showed him how to apply graphite and install wheels? Hmmmmmm.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Speedster wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:49 pmAre "They" the same ones who showed him how to apply graphite and install wheels?
No. I was the one who showed him how to apply graphite and install wheels. Someone else was working the weigh-in table. After the race, I noticed that he had pennies taped to the bottom of the car. The weigh-in crew probably added pennies to the scale until it got close to 142g. I have no idea whether the crew taped those pennies to his car, or handed him the pennies and a strip of tape and let him do it.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Hi Darin,
I know it was you who showed him how to apply graphite and install wheels. Lubing and alignment are two very important parts in building a fast car. I never underestimate anyone. In your case, I REALLY would never underestimate you and I don't know if that would be enough if I ever had to race you. I think Science won that race for that young Scout. Whose "hand" had something to do with it?
Best Wishes for the coming season.
Bill (Speedster)
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Ah, thanks. I get it now.

Yeah, he was one of the memorable kids. He was quite a handful that first year. But the last time I saw him, he'd grown into a fine young man.

But I digress...
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

Mornin. Todays question... I can not yet find max pro spray silicone. Does brand name really matter. Would any quality brand name spray silicone work as well?

Going to home depot after work to check there.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Sleestak, I would like to purchase some of the rail rider axles for $15.00 and offer them for sale in our workshops.
Would you please tell me where you found them. Thank you.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

Google search: bent pinewoord derby axels. Amazon has ebay. Many many places.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Sleestak wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:09 am Mornin. Todays question... I can not yet find max pro spray silicone. Does brand name really matter. Would any quality brand name spray silicone work as well?

Going to home depot after work to check there.
If you have a Microcenter near you, you can purchase it there.

Another option would be the 3M 08897 "Dry-Type" silicone spray you can get at auto parts stores.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

I just bought a can of Industrial strenth silicone with teflon from menards. It looked good.

I'll look for that at an auto store and return this.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

Tried to bend a axel tonight using the board trick. Total failure. Not only did it not bend it hurt my hand . Maybe my axels are crome? I think maybe I've been pranked. Buying the axel bender I tap with hammer tonight.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sleestak »

Or maybe was suppose to make a cut in the axel first. It didnt bend at all just lifted up went I went to bend.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Maximum Velocity has REALLY FAST shipping.