Maximum Velocity Wheels with bent Axles

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
jason493
Apprentice
Apprentice

Maximum Velocity Wheels with bent Axles

Post by jason493 »

In past races, I ran bsa wheels with bent axles. This year I purchased some maximum velocity wheels and noticed the bore size is smaller. I cannot insert the axle with 1-1/2* bend.
Is there something I am missing? Is it possible to bend the axle after being inserted into the wheel? Has anyone ran mv wheels with bent axles?

Thanks,
Jason
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Maximum Velocity Wheels with bent Axles

Post by Eagle »

Too many variables.

BSA axles? Or, race axles? If race axles what size?

There is now an angle gauge available. Without one, angle of bend is a guess.

If axle is not slotted the bend ends up being more of a curve.

Next would be - have axle and wheel been polished?

Then you have oil vs graphite.

Even with the smallest bore I have never experienced difficulty getting a wheel over an axle till you get close to 7 degrees.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

jason493 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:38 amHas anyone ran mv wheels with bent axles?
Yes. Within the past year we have used MV wheels with MV axles that we bent at 1.5 degrees - which is a very subtle bend. We did not notice the bores being appreciably smaller than BSA standard on our most recent batch of MV wheels, and we had no problem inserting bent axles.

The MV and BSA axles are approximately the same diameter (~0.088-0.089"), but AWANA axles have a larger diameter (~0.092"). What axles are you using? You may want to measure them to be sure...

Can you insert an unbent axle? How are you achieving the bend in your axles? (How do you know the bend is ~1.5 degrees?)

P.S. I noticed that you joined almost six years before your first post! Way to lurk! :thumbup:
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

jason493 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:38 am I cannot insert the axle with 1-1/2* bend.
I'm I seeing and reading this right.. 1-1/2 deg of bend ?

Not sure of your axle type you said max v wheels only .. but nothing about the axle brand type.
Max V offer's two types of bent axles that I know of..
The 4 pack of polished rail rider axles sku 4035 two axles 2.5 deg for rears, one is 1.5 deg for the front dominate wheel, and one is straight for lifted wheel.
The next set offered is sku 4036 the slotted and polished axle set of 4... slotted known as the K House Groove.
The axle sets are the same in shaft diamenter 0.088 += 0.002
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I've bent axles at like, 7 degrees with Max-V axles (I like a sick amount of bend on the DFW). Yes, you have to kind of *snap* them into the bores, but it doesn't hurt them if you don't do it repeatedly.