Is this site's advertising policy too strict?

Forum news and general announcements.

It is just right.
71%
It is not strict enough.
No votes
The policy should be relaxed.
29%
The policy should be eliminated altogether.
No votes

Total votes: 14

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Do you think this site's advertising policy is too strict? If you haven't already read it yet, you can do so on our FAQ / Rules page.

I orginally drafted these rules because I personally hate getting hit by lots of unsolicited advertising when visiting websites. I would like to hear what the members of this board think on the issue.
  • Do you think that race related advertising would be useful or an annoyance, if posted in any of the forums?
  • Should merchants be allowed to jump into a topic and try to sell their product or service as the solution to someone's problem?
  • Should banner ads be allowed on the site?
  • Should advertisements be allowed in a member's signature?
Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Site Admin
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Is this site's advertising policy too strict?

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:I would like to hear what the members of this board think on the issue.

Do you think that race related advertising would be useful or an annoyance, if posted in any of the forums?
The message boards already load sufficiently slowly. Additional repetitive content is undesirable. Such content includes graphics, advertisements, and multi-line signatures.
gpraceman wrote: Should merchants be allowed to jump into a topic and try to sell their product or service as the solution to someone's problem?
A brief statement of product applicability might be okay. Extolling virtues is not.
gpraceman wrote: Should banner ads be allowed on the site?
Please, no!
gpraceman wrote: Should advertisements be allowed in a member's signature
Please, no!

Multiline signature text might be severly truncated after the first dozen or so displays. By then, we know who they are and what they stand for. A newcomer can quickly learn about the poster by clicking the "profile" button.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
MERuhl
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by MERuhl »

• Do you think that race related advertising would be useful or an annoyance, if posted in any of the forums?
    It would be an annoyance, especially since you already have a discussion area devoted strictly to product announcments and advertising.
  • Should merchants be allowed to jump into a topic and try to sell their product or service as the solution to someone's problem?
    Merchants should be allowed to offer their advice in threads, but the blatant selling their products or services should be discouraged.
    If they help to defray the costs of the site, yes.
  • Should advertisements be allowed in a member's signature?
    I have no problem with it, so long as the signatures aren't more than a line or two.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

I say "leave it the way it is".
I like being able to read the various posts without being bombarded with advertisements and yet being able to read about the latest and greatest products is great - as long as they are kept separate as they are now. If a newbie wants to learn about a certain product he/she only has to only go to the appropriate section; Derby Products and Services, Software, Electronics, Tracks...

Besides, I'm on a dial up connection at home and sure don't need anything to slow down the speed at which anything loads on my PC!

Just my $.02

Da Graphite Kid
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I see a couple of people voting for relaxing the advertising rules. Please make sure you are posting your comments as to why. It would be good to hear all arguments.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

MERuhl wrote:
If they help to defray the costs of the site, yes.
Just a point of clarification. The only reason that I would consider banner ads on this site would be for that very reason. There have yet to be any donations, so this option is under consideration.

If I do add banner ads, they would be restricted to derby related products and services, would not be of the annoying variety that flash at you and would likely be placed at the bottom of the web pages.
Randy Lisano