Get ready for some changes

Forum news and general announcements.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Get ready for some changes

Post by gpraceman »

Well, I'm finally getting around to getting this board updated with the latest version of the software. There are a ton of new features.

If you want a sneak peak go to http://derbytalk.com/phpBB3/index.php

Login and go to the User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit Global Settings and check out the different available board styles.

I would not go placing posts there, unless you want to do some playing around. That data will be wiped out and reloaded once I have gone through and have everything configured and get the cosmetics the way I want them. I also need to add a bunch of stuff in that the old board has, like spell check. I had modifed the old board quite a bit. Now I need to much of it all over again.

Let me know what you think so far.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Get ready for some changes

Post by zeezop »

I find the color scheme hard on the eyes.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

zeezop wrote:I find the color scheme hard on the eyes.
There is more than one theme to choose from.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by zeezop »

Found it, User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> My Board Style.

The editing works better as well, if I had to delete/backspace on the present board, the text does not overwrite smoothly until you refresh, on the new board it works as one would expect.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

zeezop wrote:Found it, User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> My Board Style.
Yep, as I indicated in my original post.
Randy Lisano

zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by zeezop »

Guess I can't read this board very well either. :)
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

There are lots of other styles to choose from. At the top of the website below you can select a theme and see what it looks like.

http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/

If there is some other theme that people would like added, I will consider it. Though, the final number of available themes for the new board will be kept small, since it adds to the work of adding in modifications the more themes there are to edit.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I've changed the available themes. There is basically a red and a blue version of a "light" theme and a "dark" theme.

There is still cosmetic work to do on each theme to get them more the way I want them.

Once I hammer that out, I'll be adding in the missing features.
Randy Lisano

dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Without having to goto a separate Search screen, is there a "Search This Forum" feature to enable? On the other boards I frequent, this seems handy.

I like eTechBlue theme.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:Without having to goto a separate Search screen, is there a "Search This Forum" feature to enable? On the other boards I frequent, this seems handy.
There is a Search link at the top of each theme.
dna1990 wrote:I like eTechBlue theme.
Thanks for the feedback.

I just added the eTech theme as I had a feeling that members used to the current board's theme would be more comfortable with it.
Randy Lisano

dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Since Racing, Space, Raingutter, Cub, and Off - all just have one forum...maybe combine into a master section called "Other"...

The layout (at least with the eTechBlue) theme is abit cluttered with the large section dividers.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:Since Racing, Space, Raingutter, Cub, and Off - all just have one forum...maybe combine into a master section called "Other"...
Great minds think alike. I'll be doing that consolidation as a last step before "going live" with the new board.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:Without having to goto a separate Search screen, is there a "Search This Forum" feature to enable? On the other boards I frequent, this seems handy.
I added a search form on the upper right corner of each theme. That should make it easier to do a quick search.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Just giving you all a head's up.

I'm looking to transition the board over to the new software by the end of this week. When I make the changeover, you will see a notice about the board being unavailable. That will allow me to transfer over all of the data.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'll be trying to make the switchover tonight sometime. You'll get a notice that the site is unavailable if you stop by during that process. Hopefully, the process won't take too long.
Randy Lisano