Keep the old one
4%

Total votes: 27

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Site - Rank Images

Post by gpraceman »

As long as I am updating the site, I thought I would also update the rank images. As you go up in rank, based on your number of posts, more of the rank images are shown.

Here's the current rank image that is being used:

So, I'm going to see which rank image you all like best from the ones that I have put together. Here are your choices:

Image Stars

Image Drivers

Image Helmets

Image Old time race cars

Image Muscle cars

Image Drills

Image Checkered flags

I was not able to find any stock racing related rank images, so I put these together from various icon images that I dug up.

Cast your vote for which you like best.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Site - Rank Images

Post by gpraceman »

I wish I was able to find different tools and have one tool show for the lowest rank, then add a different tool for the next highest rank, and so on. But all I found, besides the DeWalt drill, were hammers (maybe), wrenches (not really applicable), screwdrivers (maybe), and an airbush (that would be good).

A saw (or saw blade), sander, square, or ruler would have helped round things out. If anyone knows of a free source for such icons, let me know. Though, I do have a program that can create icons, if I have a good image to work from.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

gpraceman wrote:I wish I was able to find different tools and have one tool show for the lowest rank, then add a different tool for the next highest rank, and so on. But all I found, besides the DeWalt drill, were hammers (maybe), wrenches (not really applicable), screwdrivers (maybe), and an airbush (that would be good).

A saw (or saw blade), sander, square, or ruler would have helped round things out. If anyone knows of a free source for such icons, let me know. Though, I do have a program that can create icons, if I have a good image to work from.
I like this idea. So, what tools would work...

Some of the tools we provide at our workshops include drill presses, band saws (adults only), sandpaper, sanding blocks, sanding sticks (1" strips of 1x8 boards with sandpaper glued to them), rotary tools (Dremel and other brands), molten lead (adults only), paint booths (cardboard boxes), spray paint, spray handles (for the spray paint cans; great for little hands), turntables (in the paint booths), hand drills and polishing material for axles, and lubricants. Some of these could be adapted as icons. Some of the supplies/tools at the derby vendors might be adapted too. How about...

A coping saw. They're kid-friendly. That might make a better icon than a scrollsaw.

A sanding block with sandpaper on it?

A rotary tool, or a bit for a rotary tool?

An airbrush or a can of spray paint. The can of spray paint could have a spray handle on it.

Graphite or other lubricant? Although I'm not sure how to do this while making it obvious what it is, and without promoting a specific brand. Maybe you could use a Tube-o-lube style tube, with "GRAPHITE" written on it.

A wheel mandrel with a wheel in it?

A tungsten cylinder or cube? Although the typical segmented weights might be more recognizable.

I suppose you could also include a derby car staged at the start, and a derby car crossing a checkered finish line.

Maybe you could show a sequence of building a car: first the kit (block, wheels, axles), then a block cut to shape, then a painted block, and so on...

I don't really like the helmets or drivers, since they aren't really relevant to derby races.

Here are some images I found on the web. I have no idea what their licensing restrictions are:
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbvi ... on-set.jpg
https://www.restockit.com/images/Produc ... 15-106.jpg
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/pict/3302 ... 8080_5.jpg
http://makezine.com/images/tools/sprayhandle.jpg
http://home.simplyweb.net/bosworth/pict ... andrel.jpg
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

It looks like the checkered flags are winning out.

Though, I might be able to add a modification to the board to allow members to select which set of rank images you will see. More work to add to the list...
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Here's some other options. As I mentioned in my last post, I'll see if I can add the ability for each member to select which set of rank images they will see.

Image Fuel Gauges
Image Wheels
Image Airbrushes
Randy Lisano

Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

I think the wheels would make sense if they looked like derby wheels, rather than like real wheels.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Darin McGrew wrote:I think the wheels would make sense if they looked like derby wheels, rather than like real wheels.
Well, I actually found the fuel gauge and wheels as stock images on a "hacks" site. Now, if I had a good image of a derby wheel (or representation of) I could turn it into a set of rank images, like I did with the airbrush, checkered flag and other images I found.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I hadn't had much time lately to work on the new site, but did manage to implement the feature allowing members to select which set of rank images you will see in use.

You can get a gander at all of them at http://derbytalk.com/memberlist.php?mode=ranks

The checkered flags were the winner of the poll, so they are the default rank images.

Along with this, I also implemented a new rank of "Pine Head Legend" for anyone with over 1,000 posts.

To specify your preference, go to the User Control Panel and then to the Profile page.
Randy Lisano