Lexicon of Terms

Forum news and general announcements.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lexicon of Terms

Post by gpraceman »

I'm now working on a modification that allows people to easily see what a particular term means. When you see a word with dotted underlining, just put your mouse over the word to see an explanation. This is automatic, so you don't have to worry about doing anything different when you post.

Here are some examples:

The car's COM is way too far forward.
Our Awana club has very creative kids.
BSA axles are the worst.
That car had a cheater bar on it.

As more terms get added to the database, you will see more getting displayed in this manner.

Hopefully, this will help out people new to this sport.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: New Site - Now Online

Post by Rod Turnbull »

Awesome idea!!! Can you get this mouse over to stay on as long as you are hovering over the term? Some of us don't read that fast.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Rod Turnbull wrote:Awesome idea!!! Can you get this mouse over to stay on as long as you are hovering over the term? Some of us don't read that fast.
Maybe. But instead of implementing some JavaScript to do that, I made each term a link as well. So, you can click on the link and read the full description from the lexicon page. While you are at it, you can check out other terms.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:I'm now working on a modification that allows people to easily see what a particular term means. When you see a word with dotted underlining, just put your mouse over the word to see an explanation. This is automatic, so you don't have to worry about doing anything different when you post.
Outstanding ... I recommend that management renew your contract for another quarter! ... Oh ... you ARE management. Never mind!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Management vote for their own bonuses all the time...sign yourself up for one. :angel:
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Some random suggestions for lexicon entries...things I might not know as a new PWDr...

gprm
constant slope vs curved radius vs bestrack hard curve track shapes
slots
usb/serial adapter
mothers or mothers mag, et al
outlaw
rank (bsa tiger/wolf/bear/webelos)
den, rank, pack, district, council (bsa)
tread shapes?
swmbo
bore, tread, hub
cone
bandsaw
scrollsaw
drillpress
lathe
mandrel
forstner
phototransistor
cant
burr
micron
tap (as in dye)
wedge
heat
turtle
et (elapsed time)
precut
wiggle
razor wheels
staging

Of course now I imagine our posts will be one giant underline...use your best judgment.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:Management vote for their own bonuses all the time...sign yourself up for one. :angel:
I'm just waiting for my golden parachute. :lol: Or my taxpayer funded bailout. :sick:
dna1990 wrote:Some random suggestions for lexicon entries...things I might not know as a new PWDr...
Some of your suggestions are already covered. ;)
dna1990 wrote:Of course now I imagine our posts will be one giant underline...use your best judgment.
Yea, I do have to be careful with that.

I also have to be careful with words that can mean different things, like "ID". That could mean Inner Diameter or it could mean Identification. "Tap" could mean a tool for making threads or it could mean tapping on something.
Randy Lisano

Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Here's another glossary entry, with a definition from http://www.csbministries.org/site/about_us/

CSB - Christian Service Brigade
Christian Service Brigade is a discipling ministry dedicated to raising up the next generation of Christian leaders.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Darin McGrew wrote:Here's another glossary entry, with a definition from http://www.csbministries.org/site/about_us/" target="_blank

CSB - Christian Service Brigade
Christian Service Brigade is a discipling ministry dedicated to raising up the next generation of Christian leaders.
I added that, but for some reason, it is not showing up. :scratching:

I can use any help that I can get to fill in missing terms or ones that need better definitions. :nod:
Randy Lisano