Site Upgrades Coming Soon - What would you like to see?

Forum news and general announcements.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Site Upgrades Coming Soon - What would you like to see?

Post by gpraceman »

I will be doing some upgrades to this site in October. Is there any features that you would like to see added or changed? Any other feedback will be helpful.

Thanks,

Site Admin
Last edited by gpraceman on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Site Upgrades Coming Soon - What would you like to see?

Post by Darin McGrew »

When I follow the "View posts since last visit" link, it would be nice to have a link to the first unread message. Right now, the link goes to the last message in the thread.

Also, it would be nice if you could convert the fixed-width design into a flexible design, and get rid of the px-based font sizes. I've worked around the problem with my user style sheet and my browser's minimum font size, but not everyone is comfortable writing a user style sheet, and most just use MSIE, which doesn't have a minimum font size setting.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I had to take the board down for awhile and apply the latest security patches. This was prompted by one or more sick individuals that like registering and entering inappropriate websites in their profile. :x I kill their registration, but they come back with a new username and email, sometimes multiple times a day. There is one security update that will hopefully slow this garbage down, if not eliminate it.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
clemsontigerfanatic
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by clemsontigerfanatic »

It is a great website already!
I'd like spell check. Som ov uz don spel goodd
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by CuriousGeorge »

clemsontigerfanatic wrote:It is a great website already!
I'd like spell check. Som ov uz don spel goodd
I have to agree.... a spell check would be nise :oops:
CuriousGeorge
"They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius."
zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by zeezop »

I'd like a wiki so there is a central repository for all the knowledge.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

As anyone who has seen my typing, I am horrible at it. A spell checker would be great.

I would also like to suggest a more defining catagory for Cubmobile & SoapBox Derby.

It is cluttered into a all in one. I know its not as popular as the PWD stuff. However, it might prevent posts that should be in one catagory, versus being posted new each time.

sporty
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by CuriousGeorge »

sporty wrote:I would also like to suggest a more defining catagory for Cubmobile & SoapBox Derby.

It is cluttered into a all in one. I know its not as popular as the PWD stuff. However, it might prevent posts that should be in one catagory, versus being posted new each time.
Great Idea, as we are about to have our first district cubmobile race in a couple of months and I know absolutely nothing about cubmobiles.
CuriousGeorge
"They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius."
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:I would also like to suggest a more defining catagory for Cubmobile & SoapBox Derby.

I am concerned about getting too many forums (categories) defined. The more people have to scroll on a web page, the less likely that the forums towards the bottom of the page will be used.

Maybe someone would be willing to host a forum dedicated to cubmobiles and soap box derby. Maybe there is already a forum dedicated to SBD that would be willing to add in cubmobiles.
Randy Lisano

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I believe you are the only one.

I have yet to find a site that has a forum on cubmobiles. I only know of a few soapbox derby sites. The main one is controled buy the aasbd.org.

So they screen all posts, and limit what does not pertain.

Since you already had a cubmobile forum started when I found this site and saw suggestions for up grades. I thought I would post

Ryan
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

I as well would like to see more cubmobile related sections. For that matter, more cubmobile interest. PWD is kind of the Winter "sport" so to speak, and cubmobile racing is the Spring/Summer "sport". It shouldn't have to compete with PWD so much. If someone was willing to host a site for cubmobile racing, that would be great, but being a scout related activity, and a fairly new activity compared to the PWD, I don't see anyone taking that on quite yet. SBD is a seperate santioning body, and could hold it's own elsewhere. I enjoy SBD racing, but it is not scout related.

Just my 2 cents.
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

gpraceman,

Here is my .02cents worth, continue to strive for the security side of it. I can't tell you how many sites I have ran across sites that are just sick and they use boyscouts or pinewood derby as key words and discriptions to list their sites under. I view this site a lot with my kids and I am thankful that you have managed to keep this kind of thing out. The site flows well and is very informative. Just keep watching the back door! :D :D Good job!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

For those of you asking for a Spell Check feature, you got your wish. Let me know how it works for you.

I've added some of the common terms that we use on this board to the dictionary. However, if you find some that are not there and should be, let me know and I can add them.
Last edited by gpraceman on Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I have also just added a searchable encyclopedia to the site. You can access it from the Encyclopedia link at the top of the forum.

Also, when any of these terms are used in a message post, a link to the entry in the encyclopedia will appear so people unfamiliar with the term can quickly find the meaning.

I've put some entries in there already, but I could definitely use some help with this.
Randy Lisano

Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

gpraceman wrote:I have also just added a searchable encyclopedia to the site.

I've put some entries in there already, but I could definitely use some help with this.
MaxV's "Pinewood Derby Times" had 2 issues that featured articles to compile a PWD glossary.
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewoo ... imes-v5i2/
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewoo ... imes-v5i5/