How to sell and ship a 6 lane track?

General track discussions.
cchambers
Apprentice
Apprentice

How to sell and ship a 6 lane track?

Post by cchambers »

I am planning ahead. I am currently building a 6 lane track and in a few years, of my son being in CubScouts, I plan to then sell the track. Ebay? or other suggestion. Shipping: It consists of 6 6' sections that are 24" wide and a 4' finishing line area that is bulky. Does anyone know how to ship something like that?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to sell and ship a 6 lane track?

Post by gpraceman »

cchambers wrote:I am planning ahead. I am currently building a 6 lane track and in a few years, of my son being in CubScouts, I plan to then sell the track. Ebay? or other suggestion. Shipping: It consists of 6 6' sections that are 24" wide and a 4' finishing line area that is bulky. Does anyone know how to ship something like that?
Why ship it? Why not check with packs in your council or other local Awana, Royal Ranger, YMCA, and other groups? There are bound to be groups in your area that would love to have a good quality used track (at a reasonable price that is).

Is this track for your pack's use or just your own? If it is for your pack, wouldn't they want to keep it?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
cchambers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cchambers »

I am building the track to be used by my pack. However, it has cost me around $475 ($200 was the lane brain finish line) to build and they do not have the money to pay for it. Its too much to just donate. I am going to offer it to them after my term is done but they will need to start fund raising now to be able to purchase it. This year (Dec 3) will be the first time they use it so I will have to see if they like it enough.

Additionally, I have thought about renting it out to other packs so that I can off-set some of the costs but I am waiting until it has been tested throughly. I am not even sure there is any interest in renting it.

So far it has just been a fun project to build but I guess I never realized how much it was going to cost me.
Mike Doyle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Mike Doyle »

I think it's commendable that you've taken on this project and you can rest assured that many Scouts will enjoy life long memories of their involvement as a direct result.

Given that your time horizon is a few years of participation and you'll have already absorbed the cost, why not donate it or explore alternate ways to offset the expense? It's likely your Pack has non-profit status, maybe you can discuss the tax advantages with your accountant?

Certainly $475 is a lot of money, all I can say is you'll reap more than you sow if you ask for nothing in return.
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

c chambers,

I think what you are doing is great! I have done this myself in the past few years for my church. One thing that I have'nt heard you speak about, and that is proper storage for your track. After spending the amount of money that you have than you need to protect your investment. I would suggest that you maybe look at www.pinewoodderbytrack.com and look at their plan for a protective case. I would even go one extra step that they did'nt go, and suggest you add some weatherstrip around the perimeter of the case. If you do decide to sell it, the case would helppreserve the case and add a little bit more value. If you need to ship it, just add a sturdy 1/4" plywood top and bottom, and ship it. Good luck with it. :D :D
cchambers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How to sell and ship a 6 lane track? updated

Post by cchambers »

Thank you all for your comments. Just as a follow-up, this weekend I set up the track for the first time. I am very happy and relieved that it works. Next step it to paint it then it will be ready for the derby.

In case anyone gives a darn, I have pictures. I am not sure how to post them here so you can request them by email if you would like see them.

cchambers@mindleaders.com