Master Pine Head

WIRL track up for grabs

Post by PW Grasshopper »

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WIRL track up for grabs

Post by gpraceman »

PW Grasshopper wrote:On ebay, 1 day left...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-Turnkey-42 ... dZViewItem
So what is their new track setup going to be?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PW Grasshopper
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PW Grasshopper »

From what I have read a 42' 3 lane Best Track, Smartline timer and Race Pro Software. The new track is supposed to have a better start gate, joints and leveling capabilities.

I guess the track must be good because in previous months only a few modified cars (maybe 2 or 3?) broke 3 seconds. 13 cars broke 3 seconds running this track in December.

No doubt some WIRL regulars can comment on the new setup better than I.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PW Grasshopper wrote:The new track is supposed to have a better start gate, joints and leveling capabilities.
I thought they were already running on a BestTrack. So how would the new track be any different? As far as I know they have not changed their track design since they came out with a new curve section a couple of years ago.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

gpraceman wrote:I thought they were already running on a BestTrack. So how would the new track be any different? As far as I know they have not changed their track design since they came out with a new curve section a couple of years ago.
The mods that were mentioned were 3rd party mods. A WIRL racer (and friend of mine) from Ohio fabricated a leveling system for his track, and sent the ideas to WIRL. They implemented them.

The addition of foam to dampen the hard slap of the start gate appeared to help reduce the tendency of cars wanting to "jump" to the left on start.

Those mods Greatly reduced the times of all cars racing.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Thanks for that explanation. So why a new track instead of doing those mods to the old one?
Randy Lisano

Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

No problem.

Good question Randy. I guess WIRL will have to field that one. :D

The BestTrack we ran at a WIRL sanctioned race in Lima last year with those mods was just as fast! You could not hear the gate drop or any noise at the track sections.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Mike Parrish wrote:Good question Randy. I guess WIRL will have to field that one. :D
Well, you know that newer must be better!?!

It would be good to see photos of those mods for those BestTrack users that may be interested. I didn't see any on the WIRL site.
Randy Lisano