Wood track cleaning?

General track discussions.
PWD-Tex
Journeyman
Journeyman

Wood track cleaning?

Post by PWD-Tex »

Not that our track needs a cleaning, but what do people suggest for pre-race wipe down?

Air, towels/rags, cleaners….

I’m not worried about graphite cleaning; just want to make sure debris is off the track.

We use the Piantedosi wooden track
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wood track cleaning?

Post by Stephen's Dad »

We have the same track. Our method is not fancy at all. We use some dark natural bristle & wood handled brush. I think it's all the squinting & ducking during each brush-down that instills confidence even more than the device we use. Once the heats get going not much new track debris is ever really discovered.
mokanmikey
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by mokanmikey »

I was wondering the same thing. I searched the boards last night and found nothing. Our Piantedosi is unfinished so I'm leary of putting any thing on it. I plan to bring a 1/2 shop vac and old soft cloth diapers to wipe it down.
Can we go camping yet?
PWD-Tex
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by PWD-Tex »

I have an old drafting table brush that would do the job like you suggested. Thanks for the idea.

Regarding towels or diapers, my only concern is a possible snag and a thread is left behind unnoticed. Same thing with the brush, but since it has a contrasting color to the track any loose hairs "should be" easier to spot.

I recall someone suggesting Windex or Fantastic as a liquid solution for cleaning, but like you said the track is an unfinished surface. I think I'll do agressive cleaning after the race is over, my luck says a liquid cleaner would create a problem at the wrong time.

Curious, do you brush down the track several times during the race event?

Setup is tonight and the race is tommorrow.
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Stephen's Dad »

I'm sure it isn't really necessary, but we brush down the entire track after every round (not every race). But we always do have an ASCM that isn't carrying cars making a visual inspection with the brush in hand after every single run. He rarely finds anything of concern. But then again I haven't yet had to console a Boy whose car just caught debris nor have we ever had to re-run a heat in the 3 years we've run on this track.

A wipe down with a mild Murphy's solution is probably good the day before & the day after a race. I would agree though that race day isn't the time to be experimenting with any new liquid cleaners.

I think that having the visual inspection (brush in hand) & making occasional squinty-eyed swishes at the track does a lot to catch problems before they happen & it certainly makes the Boys more comfortable. It does me too & as CM that means a lot to me.

God Bless the race day volunteers & Leaders!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PWD-Tex wrote:but like you said the track is an unfinished surface.

Setup is tonight and the race is tommorrow.
There isn't time before your race, but I would recommend that you at least get some polyurethane on the track to protect it from moisture and staining. It is definitely easier cleaning graphite and other lubricants off of wood that has been sealed.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Panzer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Panzer »

At our pack race we have a duty Zamboni Man with a shop vac equipped with wide floor brush attachment do the honors on the track between groups
PWD-Tex
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by PWD-Tex »

Randy, honestly I don't think it's finished, but I've been wrong before. I agree if it isn't - it should be.

My job is the software, start and finish hardware; so my focus has been on those items. Last night however, while getting tools and my stuff ready, the thought of track cleaning came to me - no one on the committee had mentioned anything about cleaning. So here I am ready with brush in hand and some sense of when to perform the task.

Great answers by all and thank you.

And yes, God bless all the volunteers and the Leaders before, during and after race day.

BTW - Thanks to the owner of Derbytalk.com for providing a place for us pineheads to gather.
PWD-Tex
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by PWD-Tex »

FWIW - Race went very well with no mishaps. I was overriden by the Cub Master and the Lead PWD Committee member to have the track swept down during the two breaks we had. Since we had no mishaps (wrecks) it can be assumed that the additional sweeping is not required.

It does turn out that the track is unfinished, but the surface overall was in great shape despite no coating.

Beyond the initial sweeping of the track, the Cub Master brought wax paper so we could rub down the track with it. I guess this has two effects, wax is transferred from the paper to the track and then any graphite is burnished into the paper/track. I will say the track surface after the wax paper application was slick.

Thanks again to all that responded.