Lane variation caused by improper flexing of slope section

Commercial tracks.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Lane variation caused by improper flexing of slope section

Post by MaxV »

We use a wooden track, on which the curved section must be flexed when the track is setup. We have found that it is very easy to not get the start section (solid), the flex section, and the first straight section all perfectly lined up. Because the flex section is not rigid, it is easy to create a very slight curve in the first three sections, resulting in lane variation.

I would think that the Piantedosi wooden track - and now their new aluminum track - would be susceptible to the same problem. But I have never set one up, so I can only speculate. I would appreciate feedback from those of you with experience setting up a Piantedosi track.

That is one nice thing about the rigid curve in the Best Track; you have to try pretty hard to set it up out of alignment.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Lane variation caused by improper flexing of slope secti

Post by Darin McGrew »

Our track has a rigid curved section too, but I've seen tracks that flexed the track to get the curve. The track plans on my own web site use this design.

Your post got me thinking though. Using gravity to flex the track, wouldn't the cars themselves affect the curve of the track? Admittedly, the effect of a few 5-ounce cars is going to be less than the effect of whatever sandbags or other weight you're using to stabilize the track, but minute variations can have significant effects, right?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Lane variation caused by improper flexing of slope secti

Post by Stan Pope »

When a Piantedosi track is being set up, the short support doesn't reach the ground until the 20 weight is added just below the point of max bend. Watching cars move down, you don't see any change in curvature. But, it would require a movement of around 1/20 to 1/10 of and inche to be noticed by eye. And, since a PWD car is more than 1% (but less than 2%) of the weight that is used to lock the track down, it is reasonable that some flexing might take place.

Before digging too deeply into the effects, it would be worthwhile to do the measurements. The measurements should include determining if there are lateral differences in deflection. How much deflection actually occurs? Does a car in lane 1 cause a greater deflection in lane 1 than it does in lane 4?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"