What Track, Electronics, software combo?

Commercial tracks.
Bull223
Apprentice
Apprentice

What Track, Electronics, software combo?

Post by Bull223 »

Hi there, this is my first post I have been lurking for quite a while. I have a question I hope you all may be able to help me with. I am a 2nd yr Derby Dad and Im hooked! I have been given the go ahed to get us a new track, software and electronics package. I have selected a 4 lane freedom track but cant make up my mind on software or electronics. Does anyone have a combo that they consider best?
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Re: What Track, Electronics, software combo?

Post by Mr. Slick »

I would recommend the Fast Track Timer from Microwizard and GrandPrix Race Manager as an AWESOME* combination.

I started with a K2 timer and an off-the-shelf software solution, Hyperterm and MS-Excel. I regret not having gotten the "real" software sooner! I now have a couple of the K2 Grandprix setups and love them.

Both are well supported and very dependable. I did 24 races this year with one of the setups.

*The use of AWESOME in no way reflects on the user or users within this group or their representatives or other people who may or may not be associated with them in any manner whatsoever, but rather it is used as a term of praise and encouragement for the recipient to whom it was said to or sent to or any one who may be in some manner be related to the activity or attitude to which the reference is being made and it is not to be taken in any manner as anything other than that for which the originating party intended it for unless mutually agreed upon by both the originator and the recipient through a mutually enthusiastic agreement to change the intended meaning of the phrase as it was originally intended for at the specific time of issuance by the originator towards the recipient
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Bull223
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bull223 »

I was looking at the fastrack, and smart timer, but didnt know if there were any software issues good or badwith either. Im new at this and I will be the main derby show for the next 5 years so i really dont want any second guessing on my part. No regrets, ya know. Thanks for the input.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Did you get the go ahead from your organization or your wife??? :mrgreen:

Mr. Slick's recommendation will probably be a common answer. I hear Piantedosi tracks (aluminum or wood) are very good but not cheap.

But for the more adventurous, after doing much research and planning, I designed and built a 3 lane track and timer. Last year I added a solenoid release and this year a drop-off skid stop. It's very rewarding for those handy with power tools. A 3 lane track should cost $150 - $200 in materials. The timer is a little harder to build (to make it semi-pro looking) but I think it cost me about $150 in materials.
Bull223
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bull223 »

It was a mutual decision, Mine first then the pack treasurer agreed. I just have to come up with the package that we wont be dissapointed with. I was told "funds are there just dont go overboard". After discussing a few prices with no heart attacks i am continuing on my/our quest for a new setup.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

WARNING: I will strongly advise that you get a copy of "Down and Derby" and watch the movie several times before starting this project.

My wife's reaction was, "Wow, you're not that bad." :wink:

Remember that there are good rooms and bad rooms in which build the track.

There have been posts about treatment programs also. You may want to get in touch with your local support group before starting. :D

I have built several tracks, currently working on number 5. They have all been the aluminum Beta-Craft Challenger style. The reason I got started with the aluminum was the lane surfaces and the fact that it is the type sold at the BSA stores.

The thing to remember is that you want to build the frame for the "final" number of lanes that you might want in the future. I have settled on the 6 lane frame size as my standard. For years we used the middle four lanes until we added the outer two lanes.

For most groups I would say that a 3 or 4 lane track that is 5 or 6 sections long would be ideal. Storage can become an issue for the wider/longer tracks.

My old timer is also a Fast Track timer that was in a frame for a 6 lane track that had just the four middle lanes installed. We sent it in and had it upgraded to the full six lanes and Microwizard installed the outer two lanes for only $75!

Just remember to have a place to lay out all of the sections to get things nice and straight before afixing everything to the frames.

Best of Luck to you (and your support group!) :)
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

You have an enviable problem! Not everyone gets the green light to purchase the entire racing package. I would say have fun and check out all your options to see what you feel will work best for you. Several options out there for tracks, software, and timers. You may find in comparison shopping that a particular combination best fits your particular situation best.

We have had good results the last few years using the Judge timer. It is easy & quick to set up and take down. When we upgraded it to interface with a computer we received excellent service and quick response. We have also used the Grand Prix Race Manager software and I highly recommend it! Makes running the race a real joy. Our track is a homemade wooden track that was given to our church by one of our members for us to use for our races. I am quite happy with our track - especially the price! If you have someone willing, & with the necessary skills you may find this a good option, I have seen some very well designed homemade tracks.

But, if you have the funds, I would look into Piantedosi tracks, either wood or aluminum. Those I have seen seem a little bit ahead of the competition in quality of workmanship. One nice feature of the aluminum tracks is their expandability - you can add lanes & sections in the future as needed/wanted. Also, I do not think the pricing on Piantedosi aluminum tracks is out of line with other manufacturers.

Happy shopping!
We are Ambassadors for Christ
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Stephen's Dad »

Our Pack uses a Piantedosi wood with self designed solenoid & a Judge magnetic switch, Micro-wizard timer, & Grand Prix Race Manager vers 5.0. No complaints here.

Call me a purist to me but there is something special about a wood track. Aluminum doesn't sound right maybe? Maybe it's the lack of wood smell?
The man who stands tallest is the man who bends to help a child.
Bull223
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bull223 »

Well so far I think i got a good idea about the combo. Hows this, piantedosi anodized freedom track 4-lane, Grand prix race manager, and the micro wizard gp2: k2 grand prix package. Sound good? One of my den moms thought it would be cool to have a photo finish option. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks again for everyone's input you have been very helpful.
Bull223
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bull223 »

Well the damage is done. The track, software, electronics are all ordered. I Ended up with freedom track anodized 4lane 48ft. GP2 race package from Micro Wizard, and the GrandPrix Race Manager software plus a couple of extras. I have somewhere around 4 months to learn how to use it. I want to thank everyone who chimed in with their input, It was very helpful.

Thanks again