20 Derbies Down this season on our new 6 lane Freedom track

Commercial tracks.
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

20 Derbies Down this season on our new 6 lane Freedom track

Post by Watch-out-for-that-frog »

Fathers Day was the 20th day out this year for our new alloy 6 lane Freedom track it gets better each race. I have to say this was a fantastic investment for our pack.

I would say we used the track this year more then most tracks see in many years.

Some things I have learned about set up I want to pass along.

1) Alignment of the start section to the second is the critical point of putting the track together.

2) I use a box that I have for the timer to prop up both the starting section and the next section while I screw the binding plate in or out. So it is not in compression when I put the track together or apart, NOR is it on its side which causes alignment issues.

3) The use of 4 small vise grips comes in very handy for the alignment of the track. We found some with plastic jaws that will not mar the track.

4) We pack rags in the cases over the racing surface. Having the Boys & Girls Help by polishing the track while the track team puts it together is a hoot. Windex is your friend!

5) Flat black finish line and black tape with a tiny pin hole works great indoors or out in direct sunlight with the Wizard timer.

Smooth Sailing,
Karlton Spindle
(818) 279-1049
http://ld.net/101
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Former Pack Master of Pinewood Disaster
OCTom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: 20 Derbies Down this season on our new 6 lane Freedom tr

Post by OCTom »

I just received our new Freedom track and will start assembling it shortly. I must say I was surprised to see the delivery within two weeks of ordering. :D Any hints on making the inital assembly smooth?

BTW: We got a 3 lane 40' anodized track.
OCTom
Orange County, NY
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Watch-out-for-that-frog »

Clean level place to put it together.

Two friends.

LOCKTIGHT is your friend for the parts that are NON removable. ;)

WAX over the heads of the fastners that should not be removed once it is together. (Keeps people from trying to "help" when its time to put it away)

Shoo goo for the pressboards

Flat black spraypaint finish line top and bottom of track.
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Former Pack Master of Pinewood Disaster
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

OCTom wrote:Any hints on making the inital assembly smooth?
Use a large square to line each of the lanes to one another. Measure to make sure that each lane is 3.5" on center so each section will align well when connected to another section. Use the groove in the center of each lane for that measurement.

Also, mark each section so it is always put together the same way. Though each does come with the pre-attached labels, the center sections are labeled the same so they can be swapped around. Once you get your alignment tweaked from section to section, it is good not to swap those sections around.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.