Anyone know the needed floorspace for a 32' track?

General track discussions.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Anyone know the needed floorspace for a 32' track?

Post by psycaz »

I am thinking of getting a 2 lane practice track and want to make sure I have enough floor space to set it up. Does anyone what size footprint a 32' wooden track made to the specs in the Cub Scout handbook or a Piantedosi Oars track have?
Thanks
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Anyone know the needed floorspace for a 32' track?

Post by TAL »

Yea , 32 foot... :lol:

Probably with a wooden track it would probably be built with 8' sections (or maybe 7'9" sections) which in this case would be 4 sections for a 32 foot... The arch of the track will take in no more than a foot of the overall foot print , so you will probably still need 32 foot ...

But the factor of will your lane stoppers be on the last section of the track or will it be an additional section which would contribute to a longer over all foot print...

Generally when someone says 40 foot track that is the total track length including stopper and the running surface pin to line is usually in that 40 foot space... We have a 40' paintedosi track and the foot print is 40', but the running surface pin to line is only 37' 6", and most 32 foot tracks have a running surface pin to line of around 28' plus the stopper for a total of 32 foot...

Then consider at least 4 to 6 feet at each end to be phsycally able to get around to minamize people crossing and step on or fall on the track...

Personnally ,IMO Get an aluminum track, you will never regret it...
Last edited by TAL on Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Thanks,
I was looking at an aluminum track but wasn't sure if I could swing the additional cost right now. Of course, I really need to see if I can find a way to make 32ft fit. Doesn't matter if it was free if I don't have the room to set it up :)
Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Buckeye »

Actually, it is about 31 feet due to the slope being a curve.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Thanks for the info - right now it looks like I have about 28 or 29 ft to play with :(

I was hoping the slope would take off a little more and that the stopping section was included in the distance stated.