How high from track is the start bar for most tracks?

General track discussions.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

How high from track is the start bar for most tracks?

Post by Teeeman »

How high from the track surface is the start bar for most tracks?

I am told 1" locally for a steep track (38deg)...

Thx!

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Re: How high from track is the start bar for most tracks?

Post by Mr. Slick »

My tracks use wooden dowels that are 3" long, about 2 1/4" above track level. The side towards the car is sanded flat so the part above the track is a "D" shape to help align cars where the boys didn't read all the rules and made a needle nose design. :)
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

It is best to get as close to 3" as you can since this is the typical maximum height limit for the cars. This prevents a high nosed car from going over the top of the pin. We had that happen before with one car (a dog). The only resolution was to make it run backwards. It really wasn't a contender for speed, luckily, but it did win for design.

Mr Slick's suggestion of flatening the uphill edge is a good idea.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Some local rules specify the maximum allowable nose height so that race organizers can "recruit" tracks for district races.

A side benefit of a 1" nose height limit is that it reduces (but does not eliminate) the effect of slow gate operation when less experienced recruits run the gate.

A car with "nose hangover" is at a disadvantage on a modern track such as Piantedosi, et.al. The "shorter track" advantage is more than offset by the severe reduction in PE. Folks don't believe it, though, so around here we insist that the nose stage correctly.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Our District and Council rules state that the nose must be no higher than 1/4" above the axle height.

I have the extra height since most packs will still let the cars race even if they have a higher nose.

The start gate is swung open by dual springs so there is no advantage to having a high nose for my tracks unless they just want to catch a breeze! :D
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Adding a nose height restriction would work. However, 1/4" seems rather extreme. The 1" limit seems better, but I'd push it within a 1/4" of the pin height to give racers more freedom in their design. Maybe that 1/4" limit was due to using a spring close type gate (as opposed to spring open) and not wanting to give advantage to anyone using a so called "cheater bar".
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

I wish I knew where the 1/4" came from, it predates me. :)

Here is a link to the diagram that is used to "explain" the car dimensions.

http://www.pwdracing.com/PWDCARDIMENSIONS_frame.htm

I notice that it does allow for narrowing the body. . .
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:... The 1" limit seems better, but I'd push it within a 1/4" of the pin height ...
This presumes that the track is known before the rules are written! That is great for a unit that already has its own dedicated track and whose cars do not promote to additional competitions.

For a district or council race, the rules may predate the acquisition of tracks, so the rules are written to guide the chairman du jour in acquiring tracks.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"