Perfect Staging Mechanism

General track discussions.
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Perfect Staging Mechanism

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Okay,

Staging can greatly affect the performance of a car.

Allowing the racers to stage their own cars can create problems and many races have a person assigned to stage the cars.

But, what about the effect of staging on performance? How can a racer be sure that their poor performance in a critical race isn't due to the car being badly staged?

Here's my idea:

BAS now sells axle guards. http://209.246.150.220/BSASupply/ItemDe ... item=17107

Let's say the rules require the use of the original axle slots, or that axle slots must be cut.

Then, if a pin or slot were added to the axle guards, it would be possible to create a jig that would make sure that all cars were staged in exactly the same way each race.

Thoughts?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Perfect Staging Mechanism

Post by gpraceman »

Axle guards would not work on most of the cars that we have built. We hollow them out so much as to leave little meat on the sides to mount these guards. Then there is the issue of getting everyone to comply with adding these.

What about something that strictly fits to the track, where the cars are staged, to at least keep the wheels from being put against the rail? Though, this will not necessarily gaurantee that the car is pointed straight down the track. I seem to recall seeing on some website some type of jig that was slid under the car to space the wheels properly but then removed before the race starts. Maybe along that lines but fitted to the track.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Actually, my idea would work simply by inserting a pair of pins (one in front, one in back) in the base of the car.

I had thought of a jig that would use the wheels, but that would be affected by wheel track width and how the wheels were installed.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

It is not only about making the car goes straight. But it is also pulling out the wheel IMHO. I have not seen the axle guards. But do they help somehow with pulling out the wheels?

Simple solution would be to let the kids stage their own cars. It is the fairest solution.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PWD wrote:I have not seen the axle guards. But do they help somehow with pulling out the wheels?
No, they only help in securing the axles and supposedly aligning them.

Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

SlartyBartFast wrote:Actually, my idea would work simply by inserting a pair of pins (one in front, one in back) in the base of the car.
I assume these would aid aligning car on center guide, and would need to extend beyond that height. If so, many with 3/8th clearance rule would find this problematic. Also how would you ride the rail? :D
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

doct1010 wrote:I assume these would aid aligning car on center guide, and would need to extend beyond that height. If so, many with 3/8th clearance rule would find this problematic. Also how would you ride the rail? :D
First, the cars still need to be built with 3/8 clearance. And the track obviously has to be able to accommodate the pins. The pins would have to be installed at registration I guess.

Second, the pins would only be in play during staging. Before the release of the start gate, the jig/mechanism would be removed/backed-off.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Check this out. May be a bit easier.

http://www.lastufka.net/lab/cars/html/fork.htm
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

doct1010 wrote:Check this out. May be a bit easier.

http://www.lastufka.net/lab/cars/html/fork.htm
I knew that I had seen that somewhere.
Randy Lisano

SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
Guess I'll have to check back another time. :lol:
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

SlartyBartFast wrote:
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
Guess I'll have to check back another time. :lol:
Unless it has changed during the past fewyears, his concept is a two-tined fork that lies neatly along each side of the staging area lane. The tines are just thick enough to force the wheels out where you want 'em. Then pull (carefully) the fork out from behind, hopefully leaving the car staged in a very consistent manner.

Very useful for testing. Not legal here because our boys must "stage by eye."

Note: Michael's budget for giving to the rest of the world via the internet is limited. He gives to the world in so many other ways that the internet limitation doesn't bug me.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Stan Pope wrote:Unless it has changed during the past fewyears, his concept is a two-tined fork that lies neatly along each side of the staging area lane. The tines are just thick enough to force the wheels out where you want 'em. Then pull (carefully) the fork out from behind, hopefully leaving the car staged in a very consistent manner.
Sounds good.
Stan Pope wrote:Not legal here because our boys must "stage by eye."
Personally, I think that’s the best way to go. Then the chance problems or advantages are down to the racers themselves. But, if the event organisers are doing the staging, I think it’s wrong not to have some method to do it as consistently as possible.
Stan Pope wrote:Note: Michael's budget for giving to the rest of the world via the internet is limited. He gives to the world in so many other ways that the internet limitation doesn't bug me.
Doesn’t bother me and I appreciate the effort. Of course, for photo hosting there are a number of free services that won’t require eating into personal paid bandwidth.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

I generally put camouflauged marks on the car ... For example, pin strips, router ruts and line that up at 1 5/8 " apart and do this after we find the best staging position for the car ...

I generally pass it on to the child as a speed secret and they realize what the marks are...

Kids are very interested in camouflauged speed secrets...

But then again if someone else stages the car they will sometimes notice the pinstrips and use them as a guide if they are a very noticeable color that sticks out to them...
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

My last thoughts on the subject:
If the race is being staged by track officials and not the participants themselves, the center guide in the start area could be made larger than the guide on the rest of the track. Say the width of the minimum clearance allowed at check-in.
That would minimise the possibility of the car being staged angled.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

SlartyBartFast wrote:My last thoughts on the subject:
If the race is being staged by track officials and not the participants themselves, the center guide in the start area could be made larger than the guide on the rest of the track. Say the width of the minimum clearance allowed at check-in.
That would minimise the possibility of the car being staged angled.
Good idea. Now we just have to retrofit the track with a new start gate set up.