Make Tracks Company

Commercial tracks.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Make Tracks Company

Post by ciodude »

I've enjoyed lurking and reading for a while and so I've decided to jump in with first question post. I bought the blue hot wheels style test track, but would love to have something "better". Three of my five kids are now racer aged and I can't really afford the tracks designed for use by the groups. I don't think I am interested in taking on the challenge of building my own track from scratch. In doing my research, I came across Make Tracks (http://www.royalracers.com) who makes two styles of wooden tracks. Their center rail, 2 lane, 32' long track goes for $145.

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad with them?

Thank you in advance.
Bulldog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Make Tracks Company

Post by Bulldog »

Never heard of them. But that does sound interesting. Pretty darn affordable for a full size test track. But I'm not sure how they can make and ship them so cheap- and the details are very few.

Being one who doesn't trust anything that sounds too good to be true, I would be cautious. They could be perfectly legit, but I would check them out.

Let us know what you find out!
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

My thoughts exactly Bulldog. "Too good to be true" was the first thing I thought of. I have e-mailed them asking for more data, pictures, schematics and such and will certainly share what I find.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

I have dealt with them several times with good service...

I have also seen and used one of their tracks (side rail version)...

When the track arrived it is pretty much all the wood cut to size and you put it together, assembly, painting...

It uses a spring upward manual type starting gate that you pull to start the cars...

It's really nothing but 1/2" plywood cut that you assemble and paint...

Overall, they seem to be trustworthy people with a decent quality product for the price...

The way I see it, you can buy your plywood in sheets and do the cutting and gathering the hardware yourself or pay them to send you a kit to build the track with...
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

I have never used their track but have ordered kits and other supplies from them and have always received good, responsive service!

Another low cost possiblity for a test track might be the two-lane tracks from Quality Tracks, www.qualitytracks.com, their 2-lane track is $235.00 and their 2-lane track kit is $185.00. The first is supposed to be ready to go and the second requires some construction on your part. The Make Tracks track sounds like it is somewhere between these in its level of assembly.

I think the Best Tracks folks also make a scaled down version of a full-size track and a single-lane track designed as test tracks. I think the half-size track is in the same ballpark as Quality Track on price, but the full-size one-lane is more :?: But these would be aluminum, so you may want to take a look at them too.

Good Luck on your decision!
We are Ambassadors for Christ
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Thank you muchly TAL & Rmoose.

TAL - I think I like the idea of the kit. I'd rather spend my time working with my kids on the racers then ont he track (time is not as plentiful as I'd like).

Rmoose - Good to know they are service oriented! I will check out Quality Tracks as well.
hwsjr
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by hwsjr »

Speaking of the qualitytracks site, has anyone purchased one of those? I was considering one of those, but the indention in the rail at each joint looks like it would play havoc with a rail rider. I was wondering if this is the cas.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

I've been thinking about purchasing one of the Quality Tracks this summer. I looked at the Make Tracks Company and noticed a few differences.

First, the Make Tracks center guide strips appear to be further apart than the standard 3.5 inch centers that Quality Tracks use. If you ever decide to get a timer for your track this should be part of the consideration.

Second, the Make Tracks kit had to be fully assembled by you. The Quality Track kit is already 80% finished in assembly, so you only have to do 20% more of the job (basically gate assembly and track sealing).

Third, the Make Tracks does not come with a stopping section. If you want that, its another $25 (plus $8 shipping). Also their stopping section is a foam pad that stops the car from the top. Quality Tracks include a standard raised stopping section in their price (no extra cost).

Fourth, the starting gate on the Make Tracks appears to be a manually turned gate. The gate on the Quality Tracks is spring loaded for quick releases in case you want to add a timer.

Quality Tracks kit price before shipping is about $40 more than the Make Tracks kit, but it looks as if you are getting more for the money. The shipping on the Quality Tracks kit could also be a little bit more (about $15) depending on what UPS Zone you happen to be in.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!