Piantedosi track assembly questions

Commercial tracks.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Piantedosi track assembly questions

Post by BigDozer66 »

Well the track has arrived! :mrgreen:

The instructions that was sent with it (which are a little different than what is on the website) seems to be lacking. :?

Either I am missing a binding plate (2") or one of the big plates goes somewhere that one of the binding plates are supposed to go?

There is a plate that is 3-4" wide with 4 captive nuts on it and 6 holes or so centered in a line on it. I have no idea where it goes? :?:

I finished the storage box and started on the track assembly and have hit a couple snags. :shock:

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Piantedosi track assembly questions

Post by TAL »

The starting section of the track uses only one 2" binding plate at the top above the starting pegs...

The short legs of the starting section are the second binding plate for the first section...

The plate (holes in line) you describe sounds like it may be the binding plate section connector for A to B...

Your starting section should have letter S at the starting end and A at the end of the starting section... That should be where the long in line plate goes , Not a 2 " wide plate...
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

Second thought , That plate maybe your adaptor plate for your micro wizard timer... Freedom aluminum tracks come with a plate for the timer you listed at the time you order the track...
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

That sounds like it might be the where I messed up. :oops:

I have it all at work and I will be trying to finish the assembly Monday. :wink:

Thanks,
Lynn

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

BigDozer66 wrote:There is a plate that is 3-4" wide with 4 captive nuts on it and 6 holes or so centered in a line on it. I have no idea where it goes?
That does sound like the plate for mounting your timer to the track. First, you mount the plate to the timer, then you slide the plate under the stop section and secure it at the finish line with 4 hex screws. We leave the plate attached to the timer, even after tear down.

The start section essentially has 3 binding plates, one 2" one and the two leg assemblies. Then you have the wide plate, with 4 screw holes per lane, which connects the first two sections together. The other sections have smaller joining plates that have 2 screw holes per lane.

As you assemble the sections, I would recommend using a big square to make sure they are in line with each other and are exactly 3-1/5" on center. The center groove on each lane is a good reference for spacing the lanes properly.

The first time you setup the track, you may need to do some tweaking on the section alignment. You may want to just leave the downhill ends alone and only adjust the uphill ends. Then after that, make sure to always setup the track with the sections in the same order (since there is more than one section C-D). Since you have the crate, just make sure to always put the track back in, starting with the finish section and working your way back to the start section. Then you unpack and lay out the sections in the order they come out of the box.

Once assembled, then you have one last task, labeling the lanes. It would be nice if they would include some lane numbers, but since they don't, you will need to round up some. Lane 1 on the track should match Lane 1 on your timer. That will depend on which way you want the timer display to face (towards the start line or away) for best visibility to the crowd. I like it facing the start line, personally.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

Randy,
That is good advice. :D

After I finish the assembly I will break out the timer and get it assembled.

I am sure that I will have many more questions before I am finished. :lol:

Thanks,
Lynn

BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

TAL wrote:Second thought , That plate maybe your adaptor plate for your micro wizard timer... Freedom aluminum tracks come with a plate for the timer you listed at the time you order the track...
The plate is the adapter for the Microwizard timer.

The pre-drilled countersunk holes do not line up with the mounting holes in the timer bracket. :cry:

I called Microwizard but John had already left for the day.
I will call him back in the morning and see what I need to do to rectify the situation.
I bet it will involve redrilling the adapter from Piantedosi.

Lynn

BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

I don't see any way of attaching the stoping section to the track except to go buy some bolts and nuts and screw it through the holes in the track?

Is this the way it is done? :?:

Thanks,
Lynn