Buying New Track Any Mods Required For Running Trucks?

Commercial tracks.
BigSilver
Pine Head
Pine Head

Buying New Track Any Mods Required For Running Trucks?

Post by BigSilver »

Hello,
Just wanted to see if any of you have information on what track modifications may be needed to run the big rig trucks on the Freedom or Best tracks.....
What timing gates work best for the big rigs?
Any clearance issues?
I would like to try introducing the pack adults to truck racing this year.
Thanks
“Knowledge of all things is possible” Leonardo daVinci
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buying New Track Any Mods Required For Running Trucks?

Post by gpraceman »

The only clearance you might have is with The Judge. You can, however, mount it up on spacer blocks to give enough clearance.

Any timer that would normally work with the cars should also work with the trucks.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
BigSilver
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by BigSilver »

Any issues with the length of the staging area for either the freedom or best tracks?
What is minimum length of the staging area (from the starting pin to the end of the track) required for a big rig?
Thanks
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

With either track, you will need an extension to fit the big rigs. I believe you can get one from each of those companies.
Last edited by gpraceman on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

A recent league race included the "Big Rigs". There was some width clearance problems at the start gate with a couple of the rigs being a little wider. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this was on a Best track which had an added extension. From the look of the video, it looks as if the start gate is being held in place by hand and then being spring loaded to drop the pin. The timer sensor was raised for clearance using some blocks?

Mr. Slick here might be able to help with the setup that was used.

Videos are posted here: Big Rig Video
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

pwdarchitect is correct in pointing out that in addition to typical height (clearance under the finish line) and length (amount of length behind the starting pin) concerns, you MAY have some width concerns with a track that is set up "normally" if you allow oversize dimensions with your Big Rigs.

Clearance under the finish line is typically addressed by putting the mechanism up on blocks as seen in the Big Rig video he linked above.

Length behind the starting pin is typically addressed either by buying or making an extension to match your track. The one in the video above seems to match pretty closely the 18" combined length which governed that race.

Width can be a little more subtle, however, and I haven't seen much discussion on that.

The Beta Crafts kits come with 2 regular length and 8 extended length axles to build a true "18 wheeler" with dual wheels everywhere except the very front (at least if you choose to build them that way :wink: ). Having 2 wheels on each side of the block creates an "extra wide track" for these vehicles. While you can easily mitigate the concern of truck to truck contact by keeping the center lane open on a 3 lane track as seen in the video (also gives it more of a true "Drag Race" feel IMO :wink: ), in the outside lanes the trucks MAY contact the starting gate if there is not clearance for an extra wide vehicle.

There are two "collisions" between the Big Rigs and the starting gate mechanisms in the video above. The second collision appeared to be between the extra wide trailer (beyond the width of the dually tires) and the starting gate. This could be mitigated by limiting the trailer width if necessary. The first collision (Dump Truck), however, appeared to be between the first set of dually wheels themselves and the starting mechanism.

If you look very closely at the staging of the trucks prior to the 2 collisions, it appears that in both collisions the trucks were staged a little bit off center toward the outside and the point of contacts with the starting gates (who knew???). Given that the two trucks in question both completed "clean" runs in the same lane when staged a little more toward the center, width may only require a little extra caution with respect to staging rather than a modification to the starting gate mechanism.

IMO Mr. Slick and Warthog did an excellent job adapting their 3 lane Best Track to run the Big Rigs, and it was great fun watching them race. I would reach out to them for the specifics of their setup.

Anxiously awaiting pics of YOUR fleet.

BIG RIGS RULE!

Bubba

p.s. If you just like the visual of the Big Rigs, you could also build some that fit (except for length) within the parameters of a "normal" vehicle, or at least within parameters that don't require modifying your track. The "little Big Rigs" pictured below run on our plain old 4 lane Piantedossi track with no modifications at all.

We run these critters in our "Open Class" race the night before our regular Scout race. Great fun!!!

p.p.s. I would be remiss if I didn't mention (yet again) that the Car Carrier with matchbox cars on board was Mrs. Bubba's idea. :wink:
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Big Rigs = BIG FUN!

The clearance of the timer needs to be verified. We used extra wood blocks to raise the timer to provide the additional clearance. We verified that this did not cause other timing issues with the regular cars that raced first.

The "Collisions" at the starting gate were with the wide wheels and the nut on the end of the bolt that the lever pivots on. Once we determined what was happening Warthog made sure to stage the trucks towards the center on that lane.

The Best track has to be used with a free lane between semis since the dimensions overlap in the middle - - - we wanted to race 3 at a time but three would not fit at one time since the lanes are flat between them allowing the trucks to touch if they both go towards each other.

Maybe next time we'll get out the 6 lane track!where we can run all six lanes at the same time. It is the BetaCraft track which has "dividers between the lanes that prevent the adjacent semis from touching each other.

It was fun!!! Take a look at the photos and the videos and start promoting a race!
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Mr. Slick wrote:Big Rigs = BIG FUN! ...Take a look at the photos and the videos and start promoting a race!
Make it a "Proxy Race" with some cool prizes and maybe we'll ship you one :wink:

Bubba

p.s. Did I mention that Big Rigs rule???
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

We did have to order the Big Rig extension for the starting gate area from BestTrack. It fit perfectly and worked very well.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
sprntrcr

Post by sprntrcr »

Mr. Slick wrote:We did have to order the Big Rig extension for the starting gate area from BestTrack. It fit perfectly and worked very well.
Great to know. I just ordered the extension for our new 4 lane track. I plan on running 2 trucks at a time (lanes 2 & 4). So that should eliminate any starting gate issues.

Now I just hope to get enough interest to run an exhibition race after our normal derby race.
BigSilver
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by BigSilver »

Thanks for all the information guys! I am working on getting a fund raiser race set up for our district. The trucks provide lots of surface area for logos and advertisement. Big Rigs opposed to cars also provides for some separation between the Men's and Boy's events. I will see what options we have for running three rigs on the six lane we plan to order. Any guidance as to what track timers allow you to lift the finish line easily? I am familiar with the Micro Wizard and don't know if that will work for the big rigs....