Best Track Super Loop

Commercial tracks.
sprntrcr

Best Track Super Loop

Post by sprntrcr »

Just stumbled on this while surfing the Best Track site. Looks kinda neat, can't wait to hear from someone who gets one.

http://www.besttrack.com/loop.htm
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Best Track Super Loop

Post by Stan Pope »

Looks scarey! Could it be like a graveyard for some of the cars? :(
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

That is awsome! I had seen custom loops but it is great to see a commercial version. $200 for two lanes is a little steep :(.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

That is too cool!

So, what's next? A mid air jump through a flaming loop? :lol:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Curious limitations ... 2 loops requires at least a 4-lane track! I'm surprised that their engineers didn't tell the boss that those 2 loops can function on a 3-lane track, and they can do so without the cars having to change lanes as they pass through the loop!

I'd be more comfortable if there were less flex in the track as the cars pass through, but that is pretty minor.
Stan
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:Curious limitations ... 2 loops requires at least a 4-lane track! I'm surprised that their engineers didn't tell the boss that those 2 loops can function on a 3-lane track, and they can do so without the cars having to change lanes as they pass through the loop!
True. I think they were just of the mindset of the sections before and after the loop being in line with one another. It doesn't seem like they need to be.
Stan Pope wrote:I'd be more comfortable if there were less flex in the track as the cars pass through, but that is pretty minor.
Maybe if they added some cross braces between the two loops, it would eliminate most of the flex.

Storage of this would be interesting. Hopefully, nothing gets placed on top :shock:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:I think they were just of the mindset of the sections before and after the loop being in line with one another. It doesn't seem like they need to be.
"Mindset" is one of the toughest disabilities to overcome! I struggle with it frequently myself!
Stan
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Stan Pope wrote:Curious limitations ... 2 loops requires at least a 4-lane track!
Struck me as odd/stupid as well.

Why not just have the end sections offset to the side by one?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

SlartyBartFast wrote:Why not just have the end sections offset to the side by one?
One possibility is that it was easier for them to build a loop section that lines up with their standard 4-lane sections, than to build a loop section that connects with their standard 3-lane sections, with the ends offset by one lane.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Darin McGrew wrote:
SlartyBartFast wrote:Why not just have the end sections offset to the side by one?
One possibility is that it was easier for them to build a loop section that lines up with their standard 4-lane sections, than to build a loop section that connects with their standard 3-lane sections, with the ends offset by one lane.
I haven't looked at the details of their track section interconnect. I don't believe that interconnection to a "loop section" need be any different than interconnect to a "normal section". I think that they either "blew it" or were holding it out as a future "improved product" or "product extension". Or, maybe, it was simply a case of "blindness."

There is a possibility that lateral track stability requires track extend one lane out on each side of the loops... at least on one end of each loop! That issue is so easily resolved that I doubt it plays a role.
Stan
BestTrack
Merchant
Merchant

Post by BestTrack »

We are pleased to see all of the feedback on our new product. Remember - as our website states - this loop is intended for FUN following your main event.
Stan Pope wrote:
Curious limitations ... 2 loops requires at least a 4-lane track! I'm surprised that their engineers didn't tell the boss that those 2 loops can function on a 3-lane track, and they can do so without the cars having to change lanes as they pass through the loop!
SlartyBartFast wrote:
Struck me as odd/stupid as well.
Stan Pope wrote:
I think that they either "blew it" or were holding it out as a future "improved product" or "product extension". Or, maybe, it was simply a case of "blindness."
Our Engineers are completely aware how this loop functions, and yes, we know that a double loop works on a three lane track. Apparently we need to be more specific with our wording on our web site. Sorry to cause so much confusion.

The Super Loop is for cars that aren't going to be used in a future race.
I have made several of those cars over the years! It is intended for fun, not competition.

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve
BestTrack Pinewood Derby & Space Derby Tracks
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

BestTrack wrote:We are pleased to see all of the feedback on our new product. Remember - as our website states - this loop is intended for FUN following your main event.

Our Engineers are completely aware how this loop functions, and yes, we know that a double loop works on a three lane track. Apparently we need to be more specific with our wording on our web site. Sorry to cause so much confusion.

The Super Loop is for cars that aren't going to be used in a future race.
I have made several of those cars over the years! It is intended for fun, not competition.

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve
BestTrack Pinewood Derby & Space Derby Tracks
Thanks for the update, Steve! I never suspected that the "advertising department" would "undersell" a product! The website revisions paint a much clearer picture of the product, its varieties and its intended use now! I especially like the strong warning about not running cars that the owner hopes will race again!

The video (at least as it was originally ... I didn't replay it this visit) does very well at showing the potential for excitement. Nice!

This is all backward, though ... it is a long-held tradition that the advertising department is supposed to blame the engineering department! :)
Stan