Timer Gate Attachment to Al tracks

Commercial tracks.
BigSilver
Pine Head
Pine Head

Timer Gate Attachment to Al tracks

Post by BigSilver »

Hello,
I am planning on purchasing a new aluminum track for our pack and need a few more details on how the timing gates work with the BestTrack and Piantedosi track. From what I am familiar with we have used a Wizard timer on a wooden side guided track and the Wizard timer has a cross bar that goes under the track. I am planning on getting a new Wizard timer as well as we will be getting a six lane track. How does the Wizard timing gate work with the Aluminum tracks? Do you need to shim the track up off the floor the height of the gate bar? Do you store the shims in the track box? Does the tack accommodate the cross bar without modification? I haven't seen many good photos of the timing gate installations to date. Is this a big deal or am I splitting rabbits....? :?
Thanks,
“Knowledge of all things is possible” Leonardo daVinci
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Timer Gate Attachment to Al tracks

Post by TAL »

When you order your micro wizard tell them the brand of track and they drill holes for the brand of track.

Tell the track maker you are getting a micro wizard and all should be just fine. Both makers will accomadate the other.

We have a piantdesio Aluminum and all works well because that track maker sends the shims and I believe best track has a lift type on each end of the sections
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Timer Gate Attachment to Al tracks

Post by gpraceman »

It won't be a problem on either track.

The Piantedosi tracks come with spacers to support the ends and middle of each section. You actually get a bit of a hump where the finish line goes since the spacers don't lift it quite high enough (especially when using the timer mounting plate that Piantedosi provides). It isn't that noticeable and doesn't cause any problems for the cars.

The Best Track has L angle that connects each lane of a section together and provides space under the finish section for the cross bar of the Micro Wizard timer.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.