Tips on Assembling a 6-lane Best Track

Commercial tracks.
jbofkc
Pine Head
Pine Head

Tips on Assembling a 6-lane Best Track

Post by jbofkc »

Folks,

Good evening. We began our initial set-up of a 6-lane Best Track. Four hours later we still were not finished. There must be some tips to be shared.

Our status. All sections are fastened together. No difficulty there. Began to place the dowels and fit the sections together. Pain in the rear. Needed to vacate school this evening as the janitorial staff was heading home. We got three sections together - no easy task - and ran into a problem with two lanes that would not match and a high spot was left. We push a car down this flat section and it popped an excellent wheelie!

A little frustrated, a little tired and being pushed out so we retreated to tackle this early next week.

Got some tips, tricks or suggestions? Help!
Eagle Scout
"With God all things are possible!"
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Tips on Assembling a 6-lane Best Track

Post by Stan Pope »

Argh! Don't you hate it when that happens?

No specific help, but if you don't get it, you can use general problem solving procedures:

1. Recheck pieces to assure correct ones are in the proper places. (I don't expect this to be an issue, but it is best to check!)

2. Expect section to section interfaces will be nearly identical ... so measure mismatched section ends and compare measurements with a well-fitting joint. This should show you clearly which section is not right.
A caliper should make this easier.

3. Inspect the bad area across the track, comparing careful measurements of each lane to show where the problem originates. You may have to work back a few inches or even feet from the end of the
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jbofkc wrote:Got some tips, tricks or suggestions? Help!
I'm sure if you give Steve at BestTrack a call, he'd be able to help you resolve that issue.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
jbofkc
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jbofkc »

On the agenda today. Just looking for some real world input.

The alignment just did not go smoothly thus we gave up. I thought this would have been the easiest part. Perhaps we should have used two dowels per lane. I do not know if this was part of our difficulty.
Eagle Scout
Lucky13
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Lucky13 »

There is a post over on the DerbyWorx board regarding the same issue. Make sure you aren't using any dowel pins in the curve section and only 2 dowel pins per lane when assembling the rest of the track. For a more thorough explanation, you can check out the other board. http://pinewoodp.proboards29.com/index. ... 1196544718

Lucky 13
jbofkc
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Tips on Assembling a 6-lane Best Track -- need help

Post by jbofkc »

Thanks, I read that post.

We only used one dowel per lane as the instructions said this could be done to save time on 4, 6 or 8 lane tracks. I will add all dowels when we tackle this thing again.

Also, do folks set this up on its side on upside down? We did it upside down and after getting three sections together flipped it over to take a look at our challenges. Even with one person per section, the sections seemed to separate during this process.

Just frstrated and more so excited to make some passes!!! Its like Christmas and you get an awesome gift, but it takes dad all day and night to get it ready for play.

Any insight is appreicated.
Eagle Scout
BestTrack
Merchant
Merchant

Post by BestTrack »

Hello,

Sorry you are having problems assembling your track. Give us a call and we will be glad to help you with any issues.

Try sliding the sections together right side up, then lifting the joint with one hand and putting on the spring clips with the other hand as suggested in the instructions. That will help with the assembly.

Steve
BestTrack 1-888-582-2299
jbofkc
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jbofkc »

Steve,

Our Cubmaster is charged with that contact. I want to get a "man on the street" perspective.

Feedback, the middle of the 6-lane sections have some lateral play. It would be nice to have another angle support or flat stock to add to the middle of the 7 foot sections. Three undereath supports.
Eagle Scout
BestTrack
Merchant
Merchant

Post by BestTrack »

Hi again,

We would be happy to provide you with additional connector angles. We just need to know where to send them.

I understand you wanting to get the "man on the street" perspective, but we have many hours of experience setting up our tracks.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

Steve
BestTrack 1-888-582-2299