Matchbox Derby Track

Commercial tracks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Matchbox Derby Track

Post by gpraceman »

I know that some Awana clubs do a Matchbox Derby race for their Cubbies and Sparkies that are still a bit too young to build cars and compete in the Grand Prix. I'd looked around before, but I couldn't find packs of the track sections, except as a part of some set. I just found a site, RaceGrooves.com, that actually makes a track that would be good for that type of race. New Directions, maker of The JUDGE timers even makes a timer for them. It's cool if you've got the $$$.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
TCON
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Matchbox Derby Track

Post by TCON »

I allow "Sparks" (1st and 2nd grade) to participate, but they need
their own race, in my opinion. I am thinking of incorporating an
inner, shorter track, integral with the big track. It probably
would have to start halfway down the "hill". Room for wheel
clearance has to be figured out, but I think it has promise.
Multiplicity of uses is a favorite consideration of mine.

Christ for Kids........TCON
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

TCON wrote:I allow "Sparks" (1st and 2nd grade) to participate, but they need their own race, in my opinion. I am thinking of incorporating an
inner, shorter track, integral with the big track. It probably would have to start halfway down the "hill". Room for wheel clearance has to be figured out, but I think it has promise. Multiplicity of uses is a favorite consideration of mine.

Christ for Kids........TCON
I try to encourage the eager Sparkies to get Dad or Mom to enter the Open Division race and they can help build the cars. This gets them particpating in the construction and usually the adult entrants let the kids actually race the cars. This way they start to learn, have fun, and there is no "Dad/Mom really built the car" protests, since the adult is the entrant, not the child.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

Hey guys,
Our Awana club has a four lane track that was built to Awana specs. Last year, I let our Cubbies, (3 & 4 year olds), bring a matchbox car to our Awana Grand Prix and they raced three at a time by using the slots that are created by the four strips that hold the GP cars on course. I made a simple overhead starting gate out of 3/4" dowel with three short lengths of 1/4" dowels inserted into it. I attached the 3/4 rod to two simple uprisers screwed to the side of track that could be easily removed before the regular GP race. I used a rubber band attached to eye screws to hold the gate in start position. Well, it was a success! :!: We didn't use our timer, everyone received a ribbon and those kids had a ball as well as their parents. I was told this is definitely something we'll do again this year! I used GrandPrix RaceManager software and that allowed me to register the kids as they came in. It was a good idea to have a couple MB cars extra for kids who showed up to watch big brother or sister and wound up racing themselves!
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Hey Dave,

Welcome to the forum!

That's a good idea on utilizing an existing track for a MatchBox Derby, just come up with a start gate that will work and is removeable. Do you have a photo? If so, it would be good to post.
Randy Lisano

dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

Hiya Randy,

I'll have our track set-up in a few weeks for our "used car" Grand Prix race, (something to get the clubbers interest up for the real race to come later), and I'll take some pictures of our MatchBox starting gate and send them in.

By the way, we don't give trophies out for our used car races. We just have fun with it!

Thanks for all that you do for Him!
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
bhaspect
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bhaspect »

Our club also allows the sparkies to race, and separated the cubbies in a smaller race using matchbox cars. This year we found some small wooden cars precut but not painted at http://www.orientaltrading.com/. We are going to try to have the cubbies race these cars so they can at least paint them.

We use our main track for these races, but this year I'm going to build a small version to help with time, and cubbie attention span. :D
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: kids in 2nd grade and younger

Post by Darin McGrew »

TCON wrote:I allow "Sparks" (1st and 2nd grade) to participate, but they need their own race, in my opinion.
In our derbies, kids this age receive precut blocks and race separately.

The precut blocks come in several standard shapes, giving them some choice in their design.

Our derby night schedule ends up looking like this:

4-5pm - races for 2nd grade and under
5-6pm - Potluck Dinner
6-8pm - races for 3rd grade and up, including All Comers
racegrooves
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by racegrooves »

Hi Randy,
Thanks for the invite to your DerbyTalk forum. I see that there are a lot of good topics here that will help educate me about the Pinewood racing hobbies. With me planning to make track for the Pinewood racers next year, this information is very important.

Thanks!
Mark Kasimoff
Race Grooves
http://www.racegrooves.com
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dave4him wrote:Hey guys,
Our Awana club has a four lane track that was built to Awana specs. Last year, I let our Cubbies, (3 & 4 year olds), bring a matchbox car to our Awana Grand Prix and they raced three at a time by using the slots that are created by the four strips that hold the GP cars on course. I made a simple overhead starting gate out of 3/4" dowel with three short lengths of 1/4" dowels inserted into it. I attached the 3/4 rod to two simple uprisers screwed to the side of track that could be easily removed before the regular GP race. I used a rubber band attached to eye screws to hold the gate in start position. Well, it was a success! :!: We didn't use our timer, everyone received a ribbon and those kids had a ball as well as their parents. I was told this is definitely something we'll do again this year! I used GrandPrix RaceManager software and that allowed me to register the kids as they came in. It was a good idea to have a couple MB cars extra for kids who showed up to watch big brother or sister and wound up racing themselves!
Here's a couple of photos that Dave sent me of the start gate that he made.

Image Image

Thanks for sharing your photos!
Randy Lisano