Hauling a Track Around

General track discussions.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hauling a Track Around

Post by gpraceman »

We've been hauling around our pack and Awana tracks in our mini van, but I finally pulled the trigger on a utility trailer. The track fit (barely) into the van, even in its storage crate, but we do want to get rid of the van and get my wife a sedan at some point here.

I was about to throw out my Craftsman Club sales flier, that I got recently, when I saw the Craftsman Fold-Up Utility Trailer.

It is on sale for $1099 through March 1. Craftsman Club members get it for $999. It is regularly $1499, so that is a really good deal.

Now I will have something to haul tracks around and use for getting lumber and whatever else. When not needed, it folds up nicely and can even be rolled through a doorway or gate.

Another bonus is that the front and back panels are removable and can be used as loading ramps.

Here's some photos of it, from the Sears site.

Last edited by gpraceman on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Hauling a Track Around

Post by Stan Pope »

That is so cool! I'm having a bad case of "trailer envy."
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I do think that it a pretty innovative design. I don't normally impulse buy, but I've been looking quite awhile for trailer that will store compactly and this one had some very good reviews. Plus it ended up being 33% off (Honey, think of all the money I saved!).

I used to have one like below, but it was not convenient to fold up. The casters to roll it on while folded up sticks down and once I backed too close to a curb and bent one of them. that ruined trying to fold it up. the Sears one looks cool in that you can roll it around folded on its regular wheels. The little wheels are just for folding and unfolding.

I also like that the Sears one has the hard panel sides. I had to build wooden sides for my old trailer, which didn't hold up long out in the weather.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I just took delivery on the trailer this morning (they didn't have in store pickup). I played with folding and unfolding it (via hand crank). It is really a very well thought out design and is quite sturdy. There are bolts on the sides, where it folds up, that will work nicely for tie down points.

Since the track, in its crate, is 8ft long, I will need to leave off one of the lift gates. It will stick out a little over a foot, which is OK (probably should get an orange flag to tie to the crate's end carry handle). Though, if I put it in diagonally, maybe I can have both gates on.

It is far better than the cheap folding trailer that I had before.

Now, I've got to go and get a license plate for it.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Licensing this thing was a bit of a pain. I had to go to my local Sears and get them to sign the certificate of ownership that came with the trailer. Of course, it was all new to them. They had to call Sears.com and find out what they should do. Finally, the store manager just signed the certificate and put their merchant number down for the dealer number.

In Colorado, they also require a VIN verification, so I had to get a sherif to come out and do that. I think I'd rather my tax dollars go to them for fighting crime.

With the certificate of ownership, the VIN verification form, a copy of the sales receipt, and my check book, I was finally able to get the plates.

Now I'm ready to start hauling around the track and other gear. I've got 4 races left to do for the season plus at least one lumber run.

I do notice now that Harbor Freight is carrying these trailers for $1299.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=97490
Randy Lisano