Track purchase advice

Commercial tracks.
cubdad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Track purchase advice

Post by cubdad »

All,

I have been selected by my pack (45 cubs) to select and purchase a pinewood derby track, timer and software. After much deliberation and research I have selected the following:

4 lane 35' Best Track
Microwizard K3 timer
Grand Prix Race Manager Software

I would greatly welcome any thoughts, comments, warnings, notes on additional items to get, encouragement, even rants before I spent over a thousand dollars of the Pack's funds.

Thanks.
blcrow33
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Track purchase advice

Post by blcrow33 »

All of these are very good products. We have the same except we have a42 foot Best Track and the K2 timer but we have not had any problems and sets up quickly. The support for all these is excellent.
zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by zeezop »

Recently bought similiar, except went with 42 foot track.

I also included all the timer accessories with the K3 and the colored tape for the tracks.

Only complaint came from the wife when I decided to set it up in the hallway blocking access to the kitchen. :lol:
cubdad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by cubdad »

Thanks for the feedback.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

I'd look into the 42' length, more room for the audience to view the race.

Not sure of the cost differential, but I'd sacrifice a lane to get the extra 7' section.

We've run on both 4 lane 30' to 35' tracks (Scout races) and 3 lane 42' tracks (league races), and enjoy racing on the longer tracks more.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

One thing to consider, the longer the track, the easier for the cars to separate themselves.

Cars that are close/tied at 35' will probably show a winner with that extra 7'.

It allows better alignment and car making skills to come into play.

Trust me, I know. My parent car was beating my son's scout car at 32'. On a 40' track, he got me by a car length. I was riding the rail too hard.

Just another thing to keep in mind.

Also consider what they will be racing on if they go on to districts or council. It helps being able to run the same lengths or close to it.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

On track length, I would recommend either the 35ft or 42ft. I wouldn't go any longer than that. What many people don't realize on longer tracks is that you greatly increase the chances of cars not finishing. Nothing is more disheartening to see than a kid whos car cannot finish.

Our pack has been running our 48ft track without one section at all the races we do (for our pack and others), making it 40ft. This has dramatically decreased the number of cars that do not finish. There are other things, of course, that can be done to help these slow cars, but not going too long with your track is a big one.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

Go Bubba Go wrote:
Not sure of the cost differential, but I'd sacrifice a lane to get the extra 7' section.

Bubba
I would do just the opposite , I would sacrifice length for an extra lane due to the fact of adding a section later down the road is a whole lot easier than adding a lane.
At least when you add another section it will probably be equal lanes.
Have you ever tried ordering an extra lane for an existing track?

Believe me from my experience , it was a nightmare.
cubdad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by cubdad »

Our district track is 32 feet. That is the reason I thought we'd go with a 32 foot track, so we'd pick the best cars for the district. When they go to 45 feet, so will we.

The observation that its hard to add lanes seems excellent. Thank you for that TAL.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

cubdad wrote:Our district track is 32 feet. That is the reason I thought we'd go with a 32 foot track, so we'd pick the best cars for the district. When they go to 45 feet, so will we.
You could always get a 42 footer (if we are talking a Best Track), and put the last section after the finish line. An extra slow down zone, which is not so bad of an idea since you may get the faster cars going off the end of a 35 footer. Then if districts goes with a longer track, you already have the section in hand. Then just put it in before the finish line.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
cubdad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by cubdad »

OK. I just ordered the 35 foot Besttrack. Delivery is in about 2 weeks. Should be in time for the membership drive. Very exciting.
jeffd
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jeffd »

we did almost the exact setup with a different timer. so here is my somewhat unsolicited advice. i apologize if some of the info is redundant.

Track - we love it and the 4 lanes of fun it offers :p . it beats the heck out of our old wooden track. each of the lanes were consistent (one wasn't faster than another). the advice i have is to take some time with a friend or two setting it up ahead of time. alignment is a little tricky the first time and you don't really want to do it alone if you don't have to. the other thing is you can always get the shorter track now and add a section later if you want to lengthen it.

timer - we went with the microwizard k1 timer. not as cool as the one you're getting (the K3 iirc) but we are using the software to display the times to everyone. and everyone pretty much figures out the light sequence quickly during the race. it also helps that it is announced. not everyone can see it and we just felt that the money is better saved.

software - we did the same product and absolutely love it. once i ran a mock race, i got some of the details down.

good luck and enjoy
cubdad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by cubdad »

Thanks JeffD. All the tracks in our area are beaten up wooden specimens and I selected the BestTrack solely based on the reviews it received here, so your input is very much appreciated. I see that running a practice race with the track and software is a recurring and important suggestion.
cubdad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by cubdad »

Got the track in 3 manageable boxes within 2 weeks. Just assembled it this past weekend as part of the Pack's membership drive at the school. It went together very easily. Seams are very tight. Track is straight and smooth. No complaints. Happy customer.
SharkBait
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by SharkBait »

I was thinking of the BestTrack track and the Micro Wizard K3 timer. I have a couple of questions:

1) Are there any issues or things I need to look out for when using a Micro Wizard timer on a BestTrack track? BestTrack has their own timer, but it is so much more expensive!

2) The K3 timer package comes with a bunch of other "accessories". Do I really need all of these accessories? If I just get the K3 timer, what other accessories will I also need to get?

3) Does anyone use race management software with the BestTrack track and K3 timer? If so, which one and would you recommend it? I was thinking of the Grand Prix Race Manager, but I'm not sure if it is necessary.

Thanks!

Steve