Track Rental Needed

Here's a place for members to buy, sell, trade or list wanted supplies, tools, etc.. This is not a forum for commercial merchants to advertise in.
a700jet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Track Rental Needed

Post by a700jet »

We are in need of a track to rent for our company team building event. We had 60 employees build cars and on the day of the race the boy scout pack called and told us their track had been stolen and they were unable to run our derby. We are in Centennial, Colorado. If anyone can help us we would appreciate it. Thank you!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Track Rental Needed

Post by Stan Pope »

Wow! Bummer!

You might find a source here, but chances are a bit slim, since the membership spans the nation. So, perhaps I can give you some alternate resources.

Many Cub Scout packs and some church groups own tracks. Finding them is the key. Approach the Boy Scouts of America Council and ask their help. The phone number is probably listed in your phone book under "Boy Scouts of America." You will probably end up talking to a District Executive responsible for your locality, as that staff member would be most knowledgeable of possible sources. You may be able to get names and phone numbers of a half dozen likely sources.

If they are reluctant to give such information, then inquire if there is a Cub Scout Leader Roundtable meeting at which you could pitch your question. Those meetings are monthly in most areas and typically will include representatives of some fraction of the area's Cub Scout packs. Folks present would mostly know if they have a track, but may not know if it would be available for rental. But you could get a half dozen or so contacts to follow up with.

A number of church youth groups also have tracks which are built to race the same dimension cars as Cub Scouts. I am not knowledgeable of the various denominations and related youth organizations, but there are a number of affiliates here who may be able to supply that info.

Good luck!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Howdy Neighbor,

PM sent.

I can't imagine who would steal a Pinewood Derby track. That is pretty sad.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

Go to the national RA site at http://www.royalambassadors.org and look for the state association link. It should give you information for the state baptist association closest to you. They may have an RA contact person or a contact to the closest local baptist association. Often they will have a RA contact person or contact info on the local association churches.

You might run across an RA group that way which conducts races, some do and some don't, but if there is an association contact they should know. If you find church contact information often the church website will list the children's ministries they offer. Some Baptist churches do RA's, some AWANA, sometimes both. Either group races cars, so that may put you in touch with a church with a track which would be willing to help you out.

Hope that helps, best wishes finding a track!
We are Ambassadors for Christ
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I got them covered.

It turns out that the pack's trailer was stolen out of a church parking lot. The trailer contained the track.

Awhile ago, I heard of a troop that had their trailer broken into and a lot of camping gear stolen.

So, if your pack/troop has a trailer, make sure it is parked in a secure area, has a lock on it that is not easily cut off. I'd also put a lock on the trailer tounge to prevent someone from hitching it up and driving off with it.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:I got them covered.
Way to go, Randy!!!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

Any updates about the race?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

TAL wrote:
Any updates about the race?
The race went well. Everyone seemed to have a good time. Though, the engineers did not fare so well compared to the non-engineers. :shock:

The race was held in their building, next to a small airport not to far from where I live. They've got a huge door that folds in half horizontally so they can roll their aircraft into the building. I brought the track in and out of this door.

They've got a nice looking aircraft. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it in person. They are going through the process of getting it certified by the FAA.

http://www.a700jet.com/
Randy Lisano