Beta Craft track plating for a test track?

DIY tracks.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Beta Craft track plating for a test track?

Post by DerbyNut »

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking at this track plating they sell at Beta Crafts to use for building a test track. How flexible is this material? And would I need to use plywood behind it for support? Or is there anything else that will flex a little better that plywood for support?

I would love to see some pictures of some tracks with this. I was going to build a single lane track with this but I may as well do two lanes so I can compare cars together although I will have a timer. Maybe my boys can use it during other times of the year.

Thanks!
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Beta Craft track plating for a test track?

Post by DerbyNut »

I was just looking at other web sites that used this tracking but many of them placed it over their existing wooden track. I was thinking that instead of using plywood under the whole thing, if I built the frame and supported it with cross members every few feet - just something 1" thick and 4" wide every foot. This way I can build sides to it and have these members going across. I can control the shape of the slope this way.

I wish the pieces were longer - our track is 32'. With each of these peices being 93" long, 4 peices will be 31" so actually that will work! Anyways, I would like to build it as 4 sections that just go together. Maybe attach each piece together on each sides where they join and have it where I can slightly adjust it to align it.

I'm just brain storming!!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

You don't need to use plywood. You can build a wooden support frame, like with these plans.

http://grandprix-race-central.com/downl ... kPlans.pdf

At 93", that does allow you to build an 8ft long crate for storage. Harder to do if the sections are already 8ft long.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

Thanks for the link. This is very close to what I was planning to do. These plans just give me more of a direction to follow. I probably won't start it for 2-3 weeks - have to take care of Christmas for my three kids first! But I'll be sure to post pictures of it being built and completed. I only need this as a test track so I'll build it with two lanes.

Thanks!
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Here are some photos of a Challenger style track.

http://www.pwdracing.com/photos/track/" target="_blank

I also have several other photos of the various details if you want. The track is "flexible" like the loop that is from BestTrack.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

My package of 4 pieces of track has arrived for my single lane test track I plan to build now. I took out a track and it is flexible! This looks excellent!

Thanks for the pictures of your track. I looked at one trying to see what you did at the starting area. Do you have a full track straight and then bend the second? Just trying to see where you did your bend at? Our pack has the Freedom Series track that is 32' long and the bend in it is not near as sharp. If I want mine to bend like this one, I may need to do the bend at the end of the first piece and then add the others for the flat run part. What do you think? I'm trying to remember how high the starting gate was. I believe it was about 5' high. I'll have to play with the track and see how I want to do it.

I'll get some pics posted when i start building.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

DerbyNut wrote:Our pack has the Freedom Series track that is 32' long and the bend in it is not near as sharp. If I want mine to bend like this one, I may need to do the bend at the end of the first piece and then add the others for the flat run part. What do you think? I'm trying to remember how high the starting gate was. I believe it was about 5' high.
DN, presumably the Freedom Series are "built to the same specifications in the Cub Scout Leader How To Book." Hope this helps.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

Thanks! I looked at the layout for the track in the scout book link you provided. I figured they had to connect the first two pieces together in the curve. I was hoping I did not have to. Otherwise I would have a really long first track piece before the bend and the second would have the bend by itself which I do not want. I have a good idea on how to do this based on other plans shown and my own ideas mixed in. I'll be able to start building it this weekend.

Thanks
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

DerbyNut wrote:I figured they had to connect the first two pieces together in the curve. I was hoping I did not have to. Otherwise I would have a really long first track piece before the bend and the second would have the bend by itself which I do not want.
The main drawback to not having a segmented curve is that it is harder to transport and store long pieces. But if you are able to overcome this and don't want your long curved section to be segmented, you might consider using PVC siding board under the roadway / pavement. It comes in lengths up to 16' and seems to be available from most building suppliers now - I found a 12' length suffices for a ~4' high starting gate. It curves much better than regular wood, is smooth (doesn't splinter), and doesn't absorb moisture. It costs more than wood, but the simplicity of construction and set up may make it worth it.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

I think I can drill holes in each end and use something like the cleats they show in the scout book to connect the pieces together and do this in the curve area. I was worried about having a flat spot in the curve but it's not going to be very long where the cleats are and won't affect it just like the freedom aluminum track our pack uses. I'm also going to add the stands with hinges with the same design in that book so I can take it down and store it better like you say. We'll see how it comes out this weekend.

Thanks!
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

DerbyNut wrote:I was worried about having a flat spot in the curve ...
Okay, gotcha. Let us know how it turns out, DN.
Sandsled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sandsled »

Any updates? I'm considering building with the Betacraft tracks as well. Pictures would be a great help - thanks.
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

Sandsled,

Although I like the Beta Craft tracks I think I would definitely go with a Best track. I purchased a two lane Best Track with a Micro Wizard timer a few years ago and it is awesome. The set up was a lot easier than the Beta Craft. I originally purchased the Beta Craft and when I received the plating with instructions of all of the wood and other materials I still needed to pick up I decided to try the Best Track. I ended up selling the Beta Craft Track.

Best decision I could have made at the time. Unless you have a really nice woodworking shop and would rather spend more time building a track instead of building cars then I would go with a Best Track.

My two lane Best Track took me about 2 hours to do the initial set up with the timer. The Beta Craft would have taken me two days just to gather up the rest of the material I would have needed then another 3 days to build it. I believe the Best Track would be lighter to haul around as well. It is all aluminum where as the Beta Craft has a wooden frame work you need to build and then attach the plating to it. I believe the wooden frame work would make it heavier overall.

Although the Beta Craft is a nice quality track the Best Track is as well and it is so much easier to put together. I believe the Best Track may be less money overall by the time you figure in all of the extra materials you need to buy for the Beta Craft.

All in all the I think the Best track would be the way to go, less expensive, lighter and much easier to put together. You could be racing in a matter of a few hours with the Best Track.

By the way gpraceman posted a link to the instructions for building the Beta Craft. If I remember correctly it has a list of all of the additional material you will need to get. It's been a few years but I think the cost of the additional material begins to add up pretty quick.

By the way...Mr. Slick...Nice looking Track!!!!

Just my .02 cents worth!

Humv
Dream Job--"Derby Car Analyst"--
Sandsled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sandsled »

Hmuv - thank you for the followup - I do appreciate the 2 cents. I guess ideally I would like a 2 lane mid twenties (24-28') track for testing, kids (and dad ;) ) having fun that can fit in the basement without, uhm, rennovating.

My problem is that budget and size puts me in a tweener position as far as need (OK, wants). The spot I am looking to be in is unfortunately not really covered as in between the test track and the full blown tracks which are not an option for me. I can hide a $400-800 fishing reel (good reels are expensive ;) ) but I cannot hide a 32' track in the basement ;) .

Thank you again :thumbup:
Humvderby wrote:Sandsled,

Although I like the Beta Craft tracks I think I would definitely go with a Best track. I purchased a two lane Best Track with a Micro Wizard timer a few years ago and it is awesome. The set up was a lot easier than the Beta Craft. I originally purchased the Beta Craft and when I received the plating with instructions of all of the wood and other materials I still needed to pick up I decided to try the Best Track. I ended up selling the Beta Craft Track.

Best decision I could have made at the time. Unless you have a really nice woodworking shop and would rather spend more time building a track instead of building cars then I would go with a Best Track.

My two lane Best Track took me about 2 hours to do the initial set up with the timer. The Beta Craft would have taken me two days just to gather up the rest of the material I would have needed then another 3 days to build it. I believe the Best Track would be lighter to haul around as well. It is all aluminum where as the Beta Craft has a wooden frame work you need to build and then attach the plating to it. I believe the wooden frame work would make it heavier overall.

Although the Beta Craft is a nice quality track the Best Track is as well and it is so much easier to put together. I believe the Best Track may be less money overall by the time you figure in all of the extra materials you need to buy for the Beta Craft.

All in all the I think the Best track would be the way to go, less expensive, lighter and much easier to put together. You could be racing in a matter of a few hours with the Best Track.

By the way gpraceman posted a link to the instructions for building the Beta Craft. If I remember correctly it has a list of all of the additional material you will need to get. It's been a few years but I think the cost of the additional material begins to add up pretty quick.

By the way...Mr. Slick...Nice looking Track!!!!

Just my .02 cents worth!

Humv
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:welcome: Sandsled
Sandsled wrote:I guess ideally I would like a 2 lane mid twenties (24-28') track for testing, kids (and dad ;) ) having fun that can fit in the basement without, uhm, rennovating. My problem is that budget and size puts me in a tweener position as far as need (OK, wants).
Sandsled, if the track will only be used for testing (i.e., you don't require the added excitement of seeing two cars competing side-by-side), and you are constrained on budget and size, you might consider a single-lane track and put the money saved on materials toward a one-lane timer, if you haven't consider it already (read this). Our timer became a Christmas gift one year, so its acquisition was factored into the Christmas toy budget, not the PWD budget. ;) Just a thought...

[The amount of materials needed to build a one-lane track can be very meager. In a pinch, you could even forgo the Al plating for now and make a 24' one-lane track out of two 12' lengths or three 8' lengths of 1x4, tacking wooden lath board on top for a rail guide (the guide dimensions escape me, but it is basically the same dimensions as a large paint-paddle).]