Beta Craft track plating for a test track?

DIY tracks.
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Beta Craft track plating for a test track?

Post by Humvderby »

Sandsled wrote; I guess ideally I would like a 2 lane mid twenties (24-28') track for testing, kids (and dad ) having fun that can fit in the basement without, uhm, rennovating.
Sandsled,

To follow up on the suggestion from FatSebastian, Best Track sells a one lane test track in a 20ft. or 35 ft. length. Each section of lane is 7 ft long so if you wanted to leave off the last section of track it would be 28 feet long overall.

I don't believe the 20 footer is expandable however the 35 ft. test track is. You can add lanes at a later date.

Just my .02 cents worth!

Humv
Dream Job--"Derby Car Analyst"--
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

The BetaCraft plating was originally designed to be ADDED to the base of the CUB SCOUT How-To-Book design OR to have a separate base built like the Challenger plans.

You can screw the BetaCraft to plywood the same as the How-To-Book and end up with the same curve. Been there, done that. :-) It makes a real nice setup.

The BetaCraft plating is much thinner than the Freedom/MicroWizard tracks so it will need additional backing.

For a test track, really consider getting a timer.... I would recommend the cheap kit from MicroWizard and use the four sensors at different points along the track. I like the sensors at 1ft after start pin, bottom of hill, 8feet before finish, and finish line. This allows for tuning the car for each of the various sections and then deciding on the best overall configuration/tuning..

1200 feet of track and gaining. . .
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
DerbyNut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyNut »

I have that timer from Microwizard and its already assembled on the board. I just need to build the enclosure for it which I plan to work on this week. I have not yet started with the track either but I do know what I plan to do for support. First I want to make the starting gate on the first track piece. Then I'll do the rest of the track.
2slow4u
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 2slow4u »

whats pvc planking and where do you get it