Track Vibration

Commercial tracks.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Track Vibration

Post by TAL »

I have'nt posted here in a while but the pine sap remains in the blood especially being the owner of about a 1800 dollar track system.

Now with all the talk about starting systems vibrating the track with the slap of the gate opening
and vibrations of other cars on the track has anyone else here noticed a difference in run times when running 1 car on the track and running 2 or 3 cars on the track.

Last time I had the track set-up (8 or 9 months ago) I noticed a very slight time difference in runs when useing only 1 car on the track and running another car with it.

I did'nt get into any scientific research on it but have been curious every since about that situation.
Has anyone else noticed it when different counts of cars are running on the track at one time?
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Track Vibration

Post by Mr. Slick »

Vibrations do occur and do make a difference. Two cars beside each other in the middle lanes will behave differently then the same two cars on the outer lanes of the 6 lane tracks.

Vibrations SLOW the cars . . . I think of it as micro wobbles. . . not full fish tailing, sort of guppy wiggles. ;)

Minimize the vibration at the starting gate by improving the padding and reducing the mass of the actual start mechanism.

Minimize the vibration along the track by connecting the lanes to each other over the entire section. Increase the mass(weight) of the track to help dampen the vibrations. I use supports to elevate the track off the ground which really helps out.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.