Track Noise Dampening

Commercial tracks.
Derby Monkey
Merchant
Merchant

Track Noise Dampening

Post by Derby Monkey »

Hey... has anyone done anything to an aluminum track to dampen the noise of the cars rolling down the track? I put a 2 lane 32 ft aluminum Best Track in a relatively small room... and the noise is pretty loud. Pretty soon you get tired of hearing the cars roll down the track.

I was thinking about cutting some soft foam and stuffing into the underneath of the track sections. I just don't know if that will make big difference. Maybe harder styrofoam would be better.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Robbins

Derby Monkey Garage - Derby Worx Pro Shop
http://www.DerbyMonkeyGarage.com

Fast Pinewood Derby Tips Blog
http://www.FastPinewoodDerbyTips.com
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Track Noise Dampening

Post by Stan Pope »

Would rounder wheels on the cars help? :)

Seriously, it sounds like you are on the right track with a soft foam glued to the underside of the track/sounding board. You might try short (e.g. 4') sections of various materials and see which parts of the track are damped most! I think that the material should be 100% bonded, not just "spot taped" in place. One to look at would be a "memory foam" such as TEMPUR®, if you can get it in 1/2" or 3/4" thick sheets. I think that it is dense and would be an excellent damper. (Then, if you need a break, just turn the track over and "sack out" on it.)

BTW, shouldn't the cars at Indy be required to use mufflers??? They are pretty loud, too.

Hmmm... it is getting pretty late, and my imagination is running away with me. I'd better quit for the night.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

You should just be able to stuff soft foam into each lane. The shape of the BestTrack extrusion, shown below, should hold it in place without having to adhere it in some way. How effective it will be on dampening the sound would be hard to say without trying it. Maybe do that to one section and see if you hear a difference as the cars run from section to section. Then decide if it is worth doing to the whole track.

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Derby Monkey
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Derby Monkey »

Thanks Stan and Randy... Good ideas!!!

I got a few other ideas that I'll share.

Carolina Gravity Sports: I put Dynamat under my track. It is used in high end car audio installations to reduce road noise and to reduce vibrations in the car due to deep bass. It comes in a rolls of various sizes. It about a 1/4" thick and very dense. You cut it to the size you need with scissors and peel off the backing and stick in place. I sent what I had left over to LA and he has done his entire track with it also. It really cuts down on the noise and vibration.

knotthead (Lee): Steve, when I put my new track together, I was concerned about the same thing. Not so much about the actual noise noise, but the "hollow" wheel vibration noise, gate-drop noise, and "rain gutter" tinny sounds the aluminum produces. I went to Home Depot and just spent some time walking around and "looking" at all the stuff available that might be used for sound insulation. What I ended up with cost all of $7.00. I found a package of polyfoam sheets (3/4" x 14 1/2" x 48" 6pcs. to a package) that was easily cut with an Exacto knife. I cut the foam in 2 1/2" wide strips which tucked in nicely to the extruded surface beneath the track and didn't need an adhesive to stay put, and it greatly muffled all vibrations/sounds. The track now seems to exude a higher quality. It just "sounds" solid. I'll post some pics later
Steve Robbins

Derby Monkey Garage - Derby Worx Pro Shop
http://www.DerbyMonkeyGarage.com

Fast Pinewood Derby Tips Blog
http://www.FastPinewoodDerbyTips.com