Picking the Perfect Complete PWD Racing System

Commercial tracks.
tmiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

Picking the Perfect Complete PWD Racing System

Post by tmiller »

Hi everyone,
I have been reading everything you all have been writing for a while now and am interested in knowing your opinions of the ideal system. I have been the Cub Master for almost 2 years now and we are ready to make the transition to buying our own track. Our cub program has consistently been improving, which is great, but the expectations are also getting pretty high. This will be the only time in the next 5 years or so that we will get to buy a new track, so we want to get it right.
To avoid being redundant with prior questions, I will explain all of our situations.

1) We don't compete in any races beyond our pack, so we don't care about matching the style of any district tracks.
2) We may rent out our track to others as a fund raising option. There are only 2-3 that we can find to rent or borrow and they are all booked for 2 months.
3) I am handy with tools and could build a pretty good track or sub-track, but it may not be worth my time.
4) We have about $800 to spend.
5) We want a 3 or 4 lane track.
6) I could probably assemble a timing system, but soldering and wiring into a computer interface are out of my league.
7) We would like to have a timer/judge that will tell the rank of each finisher on its own, but also be able to tell actual times when connected to a PC.
8) We want software that will assign the lanes and combine the cumulative times, etc.
9) We have about 30 cubs.
10) We will be storing it in a basement in the short-term, but if that resource is lost, it will probably be stored in a shed (In Utah).
11) We want a quality starting gate (maybe even electronically activated).

What I am really asking is, considering all these factors, what would you buy if you were in my shoes. The options I've seen are aluminum tracks, wood tracks, aluminum plating over wood tracks, all types of starting gates (from manual to solenoid activated), timers ranging from $400 systems to $25 homemade units.

We need something consistent and reliable, but easy enough for others to setup and use (and sturdy so it will last). When we rent it, we would discourage using a computer to simplify things(just use the place rankings on the timer itself).

Are there kits available to assemble timing systems (I'm not interested in soldering circuits or doing computer programing, but limited wiring is okay) or starting gates?

I appreciate any feedback anybody can give me on any of this.
Thanks,
Todd
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Picking the Perfect Complete PWD Racing System

Post by gpraceman »

tmiller wrote:Are there kits available to assemble timing systems (I'm not interested in soldering circuits or doing computer programing, but limited wiring is okay) or starting gates?
Todd,

If you don't want to do soldering, then you will pay significantly more, but less than a fully complete timer, of course. Microwizard has kits that you assemble (no soldering) and ones that you solder.

GrandPrix Race Central has a lot of information on electronics, tracks and software.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Welcome aboard, Todd,

A few aspects concern me:

Storage environment is critical for wooden tracks. In particular, I'd be concerned about basement storage. Reasonable humidity control would be needed. A warped track or a track with ripples in the surface would be a disappointment come raceday! Think through the contingencies and your climate variations carefully. If you can store it adequately, a wooden Piantedosi track will give you years of excellent service.

Loaning/renting without sending along a "mechanic" presents a risk if the track is at all complicated to set up or susceptable to damage. The risk of damage due to setting it up wrong, dropping delicate pieces or, even, carelessness needs to be carefully considered. Repair could eat up the revenue very quickly.

My ideal is a 3 or 4 lane 32' wooden Piantedosi track with a finish line that registers finish order in large number display and allows computer interface. The $800 budget should cover that.

Now, too bad you don't have district or council racing available. Properly structured, it can add vitality, excitement, and purpose to your pack racing.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

Todd,

Obviously aluminum is the material of choice for Pinewood Derby Tracks. No warping to worry about, (Track is all aluminum frames and all) light to transport, and you can store them almost anywhere. (Meets any of your storage reqirements) In my opinion the best aluminum track out there is the "BEST TRACK" aluminum Pinewood Derby Track. Initial assembly is easy, start gate is lever-spring activated for fair starts, has a great stopping section for cars, (absolutely the best I have seen) and it is easy and quick to set up after initial assembly. I have had a wood track, hard to maintain, heavy to carry, and hard to store. I had a Beta Craft aluminum track and it required alot of wood frames and bracing and was going to be to complicated to assemble. After I bought the track I was still going to have to go out and buy alot of wood, cut it all up and then assemble it. I sold the track without attempting to do all of that. I wanted something all aluminum and less complicated to assemble. I bought the BEST TRACK 42 ft. aluminum track. (www.besttrack.com ) Absolutely awesome! Had it together in 3 hours. Now after the initial assembly I can take it down and reassemble in about 15 minutes. I bought what I believe to be the best timer on the market from Micro Wizard. (www.microwizard.com) Both of these products will meet your needs and your budget! I would go with at least a 42 ft and maybe a 49 ft track. Once you race on a longer track you won't want to go back to the 32 ft track. Longer tracks provide longer thus more exciting races. Hope this helps.
Dream Job--"Derby Car Analyst"--